[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Vancouver, BC - Saturday, May 25th

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:15 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Have a great time today Vancouverites!

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:39 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Lioness.

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:49 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

CSTS Vancouver is over for another year! It was fun and raised money.

We started at 12:30 this year (later than the 11 am from previous years) and it was a jam-packed program - http://serenityscreeningvan.blogspot.ca ... edule.html. (Sorry, I can't seem to brain today!)

We had a PowerPoint presentation running while people entered with pictures from previous CSTS Vancouver events, sponsor names and/or logos (including global sponsors), pictures from our beneficiaries websites (used with permission): Equality Now, BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre Foundation and Avalon Recovery Society. Along with the PP, we had music from Marian Call playing - also with permission, of course.

As usual, our grab bags were a great success and all 46 went within about 15 minutes of opening the doors. We had a winner in our Scavenger Hunt by virtue of him being the only one entered, but he seemed to have fun. Pictures of him are up on our website as well.

After a brief introduction where everyone knew about Towel Day so I didn't have to read from Hitchhiker's Guide, we started with Dr. Horrible. Everyone sang along enthusiastically. This was followed by our now-annual Evil Laugh Contest. We had nine contestants and they were all good. We had to have a laugh-off with four but finally selected one winner.

The live auction went well! I had to step in to be the presenter - or "Vanna White" as one of my friends suggested - but we had some great items and some very lively but friendly bidding. The parasol-painted fan with stand, donated by Firefly Cargo Bay and signed by Jewel Staite, went for $100, as did the Serenity "basket", which was actually in a gold gift bag. For that, I had put together items representing all nine crew members.

The contents:

Inara - a beautiful tea infuser cup, courtesy of QuoterGal
Zoe - the beautiful necklace which looked very Zoe-like and the drawing of Zoe both of which were included in the Global package
Wash - the Wash beaded bracelet also from the Global package
Kaylee - teddy bear patch from Firefly Cargo Bay
Jayne - Jayne hat patch and pin from Firefly Cargo Bay
River - Bedlam Bards CD from the Global package
Simon - pocket First Aid kit into which I added some Avengers 'bandaids'. I also included a Spiderman cold pack and a frog hot pack.
Mal - fresh made Browncoat Bars donated by C&C Cakery
Book - Book Spiced Biscuits also donated by C&C Cakery (who make geeky-inspired goodies of all kinds and bring wonderful Firefly/Serenity-inspired confections to sell at our event and donate the proceeds - $215 this year!)

I also put in the Independence flag (with the blue star) donated by Firefly Cargo Bay and a couple of beautiful cards from Javista (coffee shop in LA) that looked like something Inara would send.

Then it was on to the costume contest - again a tough decision and we finally decided to give out three prizes: To a Kaylee, a Cap'n TightSkirt!! and her licensed (male) companion, Inoro. All were very well done. I've asked our official photographer if he would put up some of the pictures on the CSTS Flickr site.

The Whedon Trivia Bingo may have been harder than I thought - it took longer than I had scheduled to get two lines in any direction, then five people called almost at once! The five categories were: Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity, the DHs (Dollhouse & Dr. Horrible) and Movies, which included The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods and Toy Story. All the answers were people and the questions were phrased as Who Am I? statements, eg "I have a bong that looks like a coffee cup." Answer Marty (from Cabin). Those who participated seemed to enjoy it.

We gave a 5-minute warning for the Silent Auction and for anyone else to take a break before the movie, then we drew for door prizes, showed Joss's Equality Now speech that, although dated in the introduction, never gets old; the new CSTS introduction and then Serenity. I didn't get to watch the movie, except for the end. As I was watching, I realised it is exactly eight years today that I saw Serenity for the first time - driving 15 hours roundtrip to Portland, OR to watch one of the second round of previews for an unfinished movie - and didn't regret a minute of it!

Another year finished and it looks as if we raised close to $4,000 (CDN). Once I have the accounting done, I may try to wait until the Canadian dollar goes up a bit before sending in our donation to EN as last year we seemed to lose about $400 difference between exchange and PayPal.

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 pm 
2013 Global Event Coordinator

Well Done! Wish I could have been there.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks. I wish you and others could have been, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 pm 
2019 Global Team

Signal Origin:
Logan • Utah • Hera

Now that's a report! Excellent!