[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Grande Prairie Browncoats Can't Stop The Serenity 2013

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Hey There All,

Last Saturday, on Sept 21,2013, the Grande Prairie Browncoats from Grande Prairie Alberta had their 2nd annual event. The number of people who attended this years event almost tripled those in attendance last year. A great time was had by all and we got some great feedback on how to improve for next years event; like including a list of video showings and other activities happening at the event on the poster and possibly adding more of a cosplay theme to the event in order to encourage people to dress up as their fave characters.
We're still awaiting to find out what the final totals raised are, but overall the event had a great improvement over last year.

We also had a fan of the show and movie yarnbomb the poles in the parking lot so that everything was wearing Jayne hats.

Attachments:
IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2310.jpg [ 58.53 KiB | Viewed 2335 times ]
IMG_2312.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg [ 123.72 KiB | Viewed 2298 times ]
IMG_2319.jpg
IMG_2319.jpg [ 91.94 KiB | Viewed 2307 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 am 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

That is wonderful to hear. I'm so glad your event was bigger and better that the year before. The yarn bombing is a great idea. I can see cities doing that to raise interest before the screening. Can we add that picture to our CSTS Flickr account?

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:10 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Yes, feel free to use the photo :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 pm 
2019 Global Team

Shattering the records from our first year we increased the number of attendees from 17 to 42 (a 247% increase) but we lowered the ticket cost so for ticket sales was only up by 164%. We had an increase auction items sold this year by 210% ($410.oo) and the general sales was $235.oo.

Thankfully we are still a small event and still have about 120 seats to fill and look forward to returning next year. I am hoping that we can still get a sweetheart deal for the venue. They did upgrade the equipment so we may have to spend more next year on a tech, but if one of us can spend time in the booth on a play we may be able avoid this.

Overall I am impressed with what was raised but we do see a few areas of improvement for next year. One of the things that improved numbers is having it at the start of the school year. With the local collage I think we can draw in more.

Firstly we have to be more on top with the advertising. We want to start to have poster drives and plaster the city with information. We will be more aggressive in getting interviews with the local TV and radio stations.

Next it is important to get more unique items, which we have been working on. We are thinking of having several events to help fund the buying of cool items or autographs. By having cool concerts, Episode showings and paintball battles reenacting famous Browncoat battles. This will have the bonus of building a core group of event goers and keep the event in the minds of people all year long.

Lastly we will have to get a contract with the venue. While most things went without a hitch, as mentioned we had a major snag that reduced the outcome. While I had made arrangements with the TD, on a handshake and if I was there and not recovering from surgery I may have reminded him the day before they was no POS machine made available to us.

They said it would not be a problem but since no one came with much cash, and there is no ATM nearby many people held back with the auction bidding. I am sure that we could have run up the total 2-3 times what we did bring in.

One of the reasons I have been so late with this, is the TD forgot to have a cheque made. This is also something a contract could have fixed, or at least nipped.

Still, we have an amazing crew and no doubt we can meet the new challenges and grow next year.

I would be amiss if I did not thank those who did so much while I was unable to be there in person. Thank you Again Eden, Micah, Lynn and Dave. You are mighty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Given the difficulties, it is amazing and wonderful that Grande Prairie did so well. Congratulations.

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 am 
2019 Global Team

Signal Origin:
Logan • Utah • Hera

I love the 'Jayne' markers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 am 
2013 Global Event Coordinator

Well done indeed! Did the swag raise much money?