CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:55 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Hi all :-)

Some of the Perth Browncoats recently went to see Much Ado at one of the open air cinemas in Perth, and it was awesome. Got us thinking about how amazing it would be to see Serenity under the stars, but given our seasons (Summer and outdoor cinema weather over Christmas) and the ability to advertise at local conventions in June and August it just wouldn't work for us :-(

Most of the outdoor cinemas run until around about April though, and host lots of film festivals. We want to look into the possibility of hosting a screening of Dr Horrible at one of these outdoor cinemas to raise funds for the CSTS screening later in the year.

Aside from being able to see Dr horrible outdoor on the big screen, we think it'd be a great way to tell a wider audience about CSTS. Getting something visually & audibly iconic out on the street where passers-by can be drawn in would be an excellent marketing tool for all those semi-geeky folks who fall through our marketing cracks by not being scene or con folk.

Usually the license to show Dr horrible is free, is that all finalised by April 1st? Would this have to be listed as a seperate CSTS event to the Perth CSTS later in the year? Can a city have 2 events?

I haven't approached any venues yet, I don't know if we'll even be able to find somewhere to put this on! I wanted to get some feedback on our idea first and find out if we can actually do this under the umbrella of a CSTS event.

I know this is all a bit last minute, but it'll be great if we can pull it off :-)

Amanda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Many cities have more than one event, with Dr. Horrible being a popular 2nd (or first) event. Take a look at Melbourne for a very good example of multiple events.
However, these events raise money for charity and the Dr. Horrible license is granted to us for free because we are raising money for charity. So you wouldn't be able to use it just to raise money to run an event.
As an official CSTS event, which it could certainly be, any money raised would go towards the total donated. And the total donated is always after your expenses.

As you will have seen, we are thus far without a Global Organizer this year but we are striving to not have things fall too far behind schedule. My feeling is- start checking around!

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010