Switch to full style
Post a reply

Nashville, TN/ Murfreeesboro, TN June 28th Affiliate event

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:46 pm

We are scaling back from the weekend long WhedonFest events of the past to have one concert event for Joss Whedon's 50th Birthday Bash! (Joss will not be attending).
We are booking the 3 Brothers Brewhouse in Murfreesboro, TN for a 7-11 show that we know will include the CelticFolk stylings of Secret Commonwealth, raffle items, auction items, and if we can find a way to screen them, short films intersparsed with the music and giveaways!

(P.S. Joss: If your ironic side takes control and you want to show up just to spite the disclaimer, you're entirely welcome to be there)

Re: Nashville, TN/ Murfreeesboro, TN June 28th Affiliate event

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Sounds like a smaller but entirely as shiny an event! It's a big birthday for Joss so glad it is being celebrated in style.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:07 pm

That's a bummer. I'd hoped the Whedonfest would continue long enough for me to make it out one of these years. Still, it sounds fun!

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:53 am

Didn't we used to have a media mentions thread? Cause we just got a pretty cool article written about our downsized event!
They even had the class to provide a link to https://www.cantstoptheserenity.com.

http://boropulse.com/2014/06/secret-com ... edon-fans/

Just for reference, we've been doing this in the past as a support event for Whedonfest, but this year we decided just to focus on it.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:48 am

The media mentions are under the Big Picture section.
Nice coverage!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:21 pm

I think I held off a full week because I was a little bummed and hoped the numbers would miraculously change. Smaller event, smaller results. After expenses, we only raised $170.

This is 75% for Equality Now $127.50 and 25% for Kids Need to Read $42.50, which I just sent by credit card.
The event itself was very nice, Kasey Lansdale gave a great performance, as well as donating a Christmas horror movie DVD her dad wrote, and a compilation of horror stories she edited called "Impossible Monsters". She's a CMA breakout artist, and she chose to promote the book and not her new album. I think I might have a little crush. The Secret Commonwealth as usual gave us a great show. The venue did surprise me with something they didn't do last year, and had their own security person out front collecting cover, which cost an additional $25. We had raffle winners take home a Buffy Season 8 Deluxe edition volume 1, a couple of bottles of Hulk cologne and a BluRay of Cabin in the Woods amongst other prizes.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Every little bit counts, though!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Like Weblynx said, every little bit counts. Seriously, it really does. Remember you are not only raising money, you are raising awareness and keeping the signal going. The fact that you care enough to host an event, no matter what size, is awesomesauce amazing. What you raised is going to make a big difference, and you've done an excellent job bringing the focus on everything we stand for, as well as EN and KNTR.

Congrats and whoot to all of you for being so shiny! :)

I think you rock!

Anne
Post a reply