CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:55 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Well, we had a successful event at the Columbus Theater.

The theater advertised on their website and newsletter as well as putting a poster up in the building and creating a Facebook event page. I hung up posters at a few local shops and restaurants. I tried to pick places that I thought would have people interested, like comic stores, record stores, and a college-y pizza place.

We ended up have 64 people, which was fantastic. Tickets were $10 in advance or $12 at the door. We had 30 buy in advance and 34 pay at the door. Ticket sales amounted to $708. After reimbursing the theater for the licensing and splitting the profit, we ended up with $279 for the charity.

The RI Sci-Fi Club held a food drive. We gave free raffle tickets to people who brought food. By the end of the event, they collected 145 lb of food.

We also sold raffle tickets for $1 each. We had 10 different lots. It was mainly comprised of items I had won at the California Browncoats booth at San Diego Comic-Con such as signed trading cards, Husbands hardcover, Dollhouse poster, and pint glasses. We did individual lots so people would be more likely to spend money on an item they really wanted. We raised $52 through the raffle.

Doors opened at 8. There was a cash bar with popcorn. The theater is an old opera house so only has one event going on at once. I did about 30 trivia questions around 8:40 and gave out the items Can't Stop the Serenity had sent (prop money, tickets, etc. from the show). People seemed to really enjoy it and most people participated and said they didn't want it to stop when I asked halfway through if they had had enough.

I did a short introduction at 8:55 to thank the theater and talk about the charity. We showed the movie, and then I brought the raffle buckets out on stage and pulled the numbers.

Many people commented on the Facebook event page the next day saying what a great time they had and expressing hope that we would do it again next year.

The one issue we did have was that the theater was not handicap accessible. (Being a historic building, they are not subject to as many codes as modern buildings). So we had a person unable to come to the show. I'm not sure how to address this is in the future. The theater was amazing in all other respects, and did not charge a rental fee or expect any money upfront. My whole participation in CSTS essentially came from knowing the people who run the theater and having their support. So I doubt CSTS Providence would have happened anywhere else. The event was organized as being held at the "Columbus Upstairs" (They have a downstairs theater that seats about 700 and the upstairs about 200) But of course I feel bad someone was not able to enjoy the show.