CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:36 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

First off, I’d like to thank everyone who participated in this year’s Can’t Stop the Serenity – our organizers, volunteers, attendees and sponsors. We faced adversity together and triumphed over it. That makes us mighty, and it makes me proud to call myself a Browncoat. The easy times don’t often show a person’s true character; it’s how people act when met with conflict that shows their real nature. I want to thank everyone who worked so hard to make sure that 2008’s Can’t Stop the Serenity events were not only successful, but beyond our expectations.

Because our 2008 events are now complete, we are working to make sure all our donations make it to Equality Now in a proper and timely fashion. We have confirmed $90,000 in contributions to Equality Now out of a total $100,000 in estimated donations. Considering the film print shortages, as well as the economic state of the world, this amount is an impressive number. I think we should all be proud of what we accomplished and motivated to raise even more for Equality Now in 2009!

A number of cities were able to raise money for local charities as well as Equality Now, which only furthers our entrepreneurial spirit on a community level. The PDX Browncoats raised $2320.50 for the Women’s Film Initiative. The Mid-South Browncoats were able to raise $148.00 for Kids Need to Read at their first CSTS event! In Tucson, Arizona, the Browncoats gave the Women’s Foundation of Southern Arizona $462.40. It is an honor to work with all of these fine folks who continue to do such amazing things for charity.

One of my favorite stories to tell people about 2008’s events involves Anne Barringer (the organizer for the 2008 Memphis events), who I am proud to announce will take over as 2009’s Global Organizer, effective immediately. Anne was able to take her love of charity and her belief in the women’s rights movement and harness them into creating an amazing Can’t Stop the Serenity event. She didn’t have a huge support team, but she did have a small group of dedicated helpers and a whole lot of gumption. In less than three months, she not only put together an event that raised over $1000 for charity, but she’s rekindled the Browncoat fandom in the Mid-South region.

Anne is the type of person to think of every contingency and follow through with her promises. These are some of the qualities that led all of us to know she’d be perfect as our next Global Organizer. When I asked Anne what she wanted to accomplish for 2009, I knew her answer wouldn’t be short and sweet, and believe me when I say that it’s a good thing!

“What I hope to accomplish for 2009,” Anne said, “is to take what Beth and her fellow Global Organizers before her started to fruition. The fact that Beth helped hold this ship together in the face of adversity and a shortage of supplies (film) while helping CSTS continue to mean something has inspired me to follow suit; together we can see this dream grow into more successful events and a louder voice for change. I want to encourage as much participation as I can from all of those who hear the call to do good works, and I'm looking for fresh ideas and enthusiasm to keep CSTS flying high for years to come.”

When I asked Anne what it felt like to be named 2009’s Global Organizer, her response reminded me of one of the most important reasons I joined the Can’t Stop the Serenity movement: camaraderie. There is something to be said about the understanding that even when the road gets rough, you know you are in this together with your Browncoat family.

“There's a fellowship within the Browncoat community that is all about doing something to help make the world a better place,” Anne said. “I can tell you that joining in that fellowship made a big difference in my life this last year. The fact that I will get to help work with everyone to make it even shinier gives me goosebumps and leaves me kind of breathless.”

I know Anne has set the bar high for 2009. She is ready to hit the ground running. Want to get involved in 2009? Join the Can’t Stop the Serenity forums, www.cantstoptheserenity.com/forum and check out our How To Guide, https://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/howto.html.

And remember, it’s very rewarding to run a CSTS event, but it’s also a lot of work. Thankfully, we’re Browncoats. We’ve already done the impossible and we’ve topped the impossible! Where do we go from here? I’ll let Anne tell us all about 2009, but I know one thing for sure: I can’t wait to get started!

Beth Nelson
2008 Global Organizer
Can’t Stop the Serenity

Last edited by haldira on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:36 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Ni hao (你好)!

(a/k/a Greetings and Hihi!)

CSTS 2009… can you imagine it? It’s just around the corner and the time for us to start preparing is now. I am excited to be working with each and every one of you who care to join me in making 2009 a rousing success.

Challenges were thrown at us in 2008, and even a little controversy. Yet Browncoats came together, dug in and made a miracle happen yet again. Because that’s what it means to be a Browncoat, isn’t it? To look outside the box and work it until we find solutions and fix what’s “broke” so we can move onward to our next destination and complete that next important goal. For all of you who worked hard to do good in 2008, I salute you. You not only made it work, you inspired people like me to take a chance to do good in the ‘Verse. And what does this good amount to? Not only has more awareness been raised about Equality Now, it looks like when all is said and done there will be at least $100,000 shiny new dollars donated to Equality Now; each dollar a chance for hope, education and salvation.

We have a challenge this coming year because the economy is a bit shaky. This means money is tight and people have to rethink what they can budget for and spend their hard earned cash on. Unfortunately, this lack of stability doesn’t affect the plight of women who still suffer all over the world. Equality Now is their “beacon in the wilderness” to shine light on the darkness which threatens our global sisters, mothers and daughters. Therefore, that’s where y’all step in. The Browncoats, and all those who support CSTS, need to band together even tighter and use that “fight for right” attitude to obtain the high ground and hold it. There is no power in this ‘Verse that can keep our signal quiet.

Exciting bonuses came in 2008. We obtained our first lifetime global sponsor in QMx, (whooot!), we saw new venues open, new ways to host events, the Bedlam Bards put themselves forward to help raise a chunk of change and we found new sponsors to give our shindigs that extra oomph. However, this year we need to do more and for that we need you. We need to build on the sturdy foundation we’ve been left by Beth and the others amazing GOs in previous years. We need to encourage new venues and sponsors, and we need to help each other make that dream of $155,000 happen in 2009.

I know I can count on each of you to help make CSTS 2009 even shinier, so we can fly even higher than we ever have before. Join up in the forums now if you haven’t already and please be sure to bring your humor and festiveness as well as your creative ideas when you come onboard. Every voice is important, be you a veteran or someone on their first flight. I will be posting many things on the forums and I want to meet all of you as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for all the hard work and enthusiasm you will be giving in order to make a difference in the world.

Together we can make 2009 a year to remember.

Keep flyin’ high and stay shiny…

Anne Barringer
2009 Can’t Stop the Serenity Global Organizer
anne@cantstoptheserenity.com
Global Event Web Site: http://www.CantStopTheSerenity.com
Equality Now: http://www.EqualityNow.org