[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Heya

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heya
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:49 am 

I am recent Conversion and I have become a rabid browncoat.

Now I never got the chance to see serenity on the big screen but it is something I would love to do.
I live in sydney Australia and notice there is no event for this year. So if no one else would I would love to try and organise some sort of screening in sydney for Equality now but I have no idea where to start.

Post subject: Re: Heya
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:47 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Welcome! It's a shame that there was no Sydney event this year, but there's lots of time to start planning for next year! Event registrations have closed for 2009, but you can still access the to find out what you might need to do to get an event off the ground in 2010.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:02 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

Hi welcome fellow aussie browncoat!

whilst probably not enough time for a proper screening, if you had some good connections you could probably throw together a dr horrible screening in time. I (and I'm sure Jen) would be happy to help you out based on our own aussie experiences, and people here are very willing to help. the last date to hold an event is sep 30th.

Are you a uni student? often the easiest way to organise an event is to see if there is a sci fi club at one of the uni's, or even a film club. they can usually book a uni theatre for you and a projector for little or no cost. then it's just about getting the word out. i run (very minimally) a CSTS australia and new zealand website where you can get all your info put, and a fair few browncoats keep an eye out on it for any announcements. We can help you find your local BC's too (Jen probably can help more than i can as she's met them in person)

a small event is a great way to get your feet wet, get to know some sydney BC's and perhaps recruit some help for any future events.

shoot me a PM if you're interested and i'll see what i can do to help. i had someone interested in helping with a syd event this year if there was one, so maybe they would still be interested in helping

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:13 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin, TX

I'm sure he/she appreciates the advice, Miranda. But as Jen mentioned, event registration is closed for this year (closed Aug 1st), so he couldn't hold an event, affiliate or not, this year if he wanted to... But there's plenty of time to start planning for next year!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

ohhh, i didn't realise there was a deadline for event registration, that sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:21 pm 

Yeah I am not interested for this year I am a uni student and that would be to much stress but I plan on getting started early for next year.

I was plannning on scouting our geek club on campus (Sutekh at sydney uni) to see if any of them wnat to help. I already have a friend on board.

Miranda that is some good advice I would love to meet some more browncoats I hope to discover some through the planning process and preliminary and then hopefully rally up enough people to fill a room and make some money for equality now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

oooh are phantom screenings something that can be done still?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 am 

Phantom Screening?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:01 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Phantom screenings were an idea that was floated for those who could not make it to an event. The idea was to hold a private screening of Serenity (eg. in a private home) and then collect donations for Equality Now from your guests.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com