[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Hello from Sydney, Australia

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Sydney, Australia

Hi there,

My name is Ria, and I'm a newly minted Browncoat. I've been a Trekkie for years, and after hearing bits and pieces about how fantastic Firefly is, I finally bought it on DVD (and Serenity on Blu-ray) and watched both in January this year!

Soon after, I discovered this website and this FANTASTIC event, and I decided that - while I've never organised anything like this before - I would really, really like to. It seems like there has never managed to be an event in Sydney, in all the 5 years of CSTS, but I'm hoping to change that this year!

Yesterday I read the 2009 How To guide, so I know that my first step is putting together a team (I have some friends who might be willing), and then finding a venue. But I think I need all the help I can get!

So if there are any Sydney based Browncoat groups or individuals who want to be part of organising CSTS this year, I hope to hear from you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Welcome aboard, Ria!

It'll be so good hear that CSTS is coming back to Sydney. The Sydney Browncoats put on some awesome CSTS events on back in 2006 and 2007, but were unable to put an event together in 2008 or 2009.

If you want someone to talk to, bounce ideas off etc, I'd be happy to be your mentor if you'd like. I'm based in Melbourne and will be organising our CSTS event this year.

If you want to check out the previous Sydney events, here's some links:
2006 - Event raised US $1,465.78 (Est.) - http://serenitymovie.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2696
2007 - Event raised US $2,535.00 - http://www.dramatix.com.au/csts_sydney

You might also want to check out some of the Aussie websites to spread the word. A great place to connect with Australian Browncoats is Serenity Oz - http://serenitymovie.com.au. You can also try the Armageddon Expo forum (http://armageddonexpo.com/au/).

And since you're in Sydney, I highly recommend checking out Supanova Expo on June 18-20, as Felicia Day (Penny in Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog) will be a special guest.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 am 

Signal Origin:
Sydney, Australia

Thanks Jen!

I'm relieved to learn that there have been previous CSTS events in Sydney - and am especially glad that the 06 screening was held in the George Street cinemas, hopefully that means they will be willing to do it again this year!

And I would absolutely love for you to be my mentor! Some guidance would be welcomed - though my first goal is still to get some friends together in a team to help me plan. And I'll definitely start frequenting the Aussie websites and forums, as well as attending the Supanova Expo.

My plan of action to start is this:

1. Organise a team. I have plenty of nerdy friends, including some Firefly fans, who I will talk to during the week.
2. Determine a possible venue, possible date, rough numbers, as well as a goal for the amount of money I hope to raise.
3. Contact the venue (hopefully George Street cinemas).
4. Register on this website, before March 31st.

Feel free to offer advice or tips on any of the above. If you'd rather contact me by email, my email address is rianarai@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

If you go ahead, do let me know, as i *may* be able to organise some kind of advertising for you at supanova. Daniel has offered this kindly in the past

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:43 am 

Signal Origin:
Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:19 pm 

Is any one running a 2013 Sydney screening- one closers to the west? I have never done anything as big as hosting something like this before, and I don't think I have the skills or ability to do it - though I wouldn't mind helping someone out with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 am 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Rajey, We haven't had a Sydney event in a couple of years. If you don't think you want to start big, then consider an Affiliate event. It can be almost anything. Some friends over at your place watching Serenity, or a bunch of friends at a pub answering trivia or almost anything. Pass the hat or charge for refreshments or whatever you want to raise a bit of money for Equality Now.
That way you get an idea of how many Browncoats there might be around or who might help to do something bigger next year.
And some screening events are quite small. You have to cover the cost of the venue - maybe you can find a free one - and cover the cost of the license to show Serenity but after that, it is all good donation money. If you want to discuss this further, drop me a line at shepherd at cantstoptheserenity.com

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Arix and Rajey, good to see more Aussies :)

As Jen said, we're running Melbourne again this year. Jen is the authority on all things Australian Browncoat related, so definitely if you need anything, drop us a line and we'll help you out.
There's a precedent for licensing cost this year, so you should be able to sort that out easily, you can PM me for details so you can budget, but the venue will be your biggest cost. Think small and local, if you sell out it's fine - just creates demand for next year!
The Shoalhaven Browncoats last year used a community space I think, and did quite well. So a local hall or similar may be the go.

Any questions, just ask, we're keen to help :)

CSTS Melbourne 2013 Organising Committee Chair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

We've got a few new organisers in Australia taking the plunge for the first time, so if you decided to coordinate a Sydney event, you're in good company. The Melbourne team would be more than happy to act as mentor (as we did with Ria when she ran a Sydney event) and with us being up there for Supanova in June, we can help with promotion, prizes etc. Feel free to drop us a line... we'd LOVE to see an event in Sydney again! :D

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:33 am 

Signal Origin:
Sydney, Australia

Hi Rajey, and everyone else, geez 2010 seems like a lifetime away!

As has been mentioned, the last time we had CSTS in Sydney was when I ran the event (more or less single-handed with Jen as my event-saving mentor) back in 2010! Unfortunately I've been flat out with work and study commitments since then, and definitely can't handle the stress of running the whole thing again by myself like last time.

That said, if Rajey or anyone else is interested in running an event then I'd be more than happy to help out - but Jen and the lovely people in the Melbourne Browncoats are really the people to talk to. My event wouldn't have been possible without their help ;)

Just send me a buzz if you're interested. I might even be able to get a venue for cheap (or dare I say, free) as I'm currently studying at Randwick TAFE's Sydney Institute Film Academy, which has its own theatre. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm 
2013 Global Event Coordinator

So very pleased to see this. I haven't been to Sydney in 20 twenty years but I loved the city. Everyone so friendly, insisting I eat vegemite with my toast for breakfast. I forgave them all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:01 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:00 pm 

would love to help out if anyone gets an event together. might even pull my finger out and get my browncoats membership sometime too (when reality stops getting in the way of fantasy).

new member here on the forums. just signed up a few minutes ago to reply to this post (which i got from a link on the Melbourne Browncoats facebook page). Im Kim from the southern highlands (Moss Vale, NSW) would love to meet more browncoats around the area, maybe get a group together if there isnt already one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Soo happy to see a thread that started 3 years ago get picked up again with such a great result! :D

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 am 

Signal Origin:
Sydney, Australia

Woah! Hold your horses guys! No assisting me going on here! I'm waaaaay too busy to run another one, not after the last time (now I know what I'm getting myself into. Then I had no idea!) - if anyone else wants to have a go then I'M happy to assist, but I'm not signing up for anything. Maybe next year!