[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Withdrawn - Possible event in Northern NY for 2009?

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:44 pm 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

I was wondering if there are any plans for a screening in upstate NY? Utica or Syracuse would be great (both are about a 2 hour drive for me). Is it possible to get one North of Albany? I have at least 4 other people that want to go see a screening that I would carpool with.

Last edited by JenskiJen on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edited title

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:55 pm 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:57 pm 

i saw your post and i had to reply. i am in northern ny too. i live in gouverneur ny. i would love a screening up here some time. i have been talking with my friends about going to a screening for almost a year. if you guys get somethin going anywhere in north ny i have at least 5 people i know will go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:33 pm 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

I have been contacting some of the local theaters, noob_ian. I know a place not far from either of us that does a lot of independent/ foreign shows (Potsdam). I think that might be my best bet for somewhere within 100 miles. It's pretty rural up here, so we probably wouldn't get all that many people (I'm thinking we would be lucky to get 40 or 50 people)... Well, it's about an hour and a half from Ottawa, so... we might be able to get some Ottawa browncoats to come if the two screenings aren't on the same day. I'll let you know if/ when I hear from the owner of the theater.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:20 am 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

It's been a little over a week since I have contacted the owner of 3 local theaters (Potsdam, Canton and Massena), so I just contacted some people in Plattsburgh. If you (noob_ian) know of anyone else to contact, let me know. If there is anyone else in northern NY, let me know. I could use all the help I can get.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 am 

I'm from Utica too so something in this area would be awesome...I've got a few friends in the area that would love to see it too. I know some people that work at a theater but I'm back at school so I won't be able to do much for that :( but it'd be so cool if you guys could get anything for us upstaters :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

You guys are talking about Utica & the Potsdam area, they're over 3 hours apart. Would it be worth having two screenings, one for each city?

NEStar, you could continue with your Utica plans and try to get the Syracuse crowd to attend.
Nazi_Cow, you could continue with Extreme Upstate NY and market to the Ottawa Browncoats.

And if you hold your events on different dates, then folks who care to make the drive can attend both.

Send me a PM and we'll get you both set up with a mentor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:00 pm 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

Well, I have contacted a handful of theaters without so much as a reply. I think that there just might not be enough interest up here where the population is spread out. I won't give up completely quite yet, but I might have to try and make it to one of the other screenings...

As for Utica, I would probably actually prefer going there over Ottawa, since crossing the border is always a huge hassle lately. I've never been to Utica, and it's quite a trip. I have probably nine or ten people right now who say they would go, most living 3 hours from Utica (Ogdensburg). From past experience, I am sure not all will. We would have to drive about 6 hours (I would be driving, so I would have to drive 8 to pick them up, drop them off), find a hotel, etc., so I imagine some will back out if it is in Utica.

noob_ian and I have been emailing a lot lately, since we are so close, and it seems we are both in the same situation. We both could probably get two cars of people (8-10 people) if it is a little north of Utica. If it ends up being in Utica, we could probably both pack 6 in a car and head out.

Last edited by NaziCow_Late on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:12 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

NaziCow -- have you gotten a copy of our How-To Guide? It has a page dedicated to contacting theaters. It could be very helpful to you in locating a theater for a local event.
Don't give up if you haven't heard back. I averaged 3 calls per theater before I even spoke to someone who could give me firm pricing and information. And I called every single theater in town before I found a suitable one. It can be frustrating, but once you're successful, it makes it all worth it.
The most important thing is -- don't expect anyone to call you back. Most of the theaters I called had never heard of our organization. It wasn't until I started asking serious questions about auditorium size, online ticket sales, deposits that they knew I meant business. But first I had to actually get someone on the phone!
Send me an e-mail at tanya@cantstoptheserenity.com and I'll make sure you get a copy of that document.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:31 pm 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

I read the How-To about a month ago, but I am sure I should go through it again. I think my problem is I am trying too local. Potsdam is one of the larger towns within an hour drive, and it only has 16,000 people. Utica would be a better bet (60,000 people). Still... I'll try here first.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Eureka, CA

Hey Nazicow!

Just thought I'd let you know that sometimes it takes a bit to find a place. Why everyone doesn't love Serenity so much they are battling down our doors and begging to have a screening is beyond me! lol A lot of deep breaths, the how 2 guide and Tanya are all things which will help you find the right place. I know because Tanya helped me and it all fell into place.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. :) And thanks for trying to set one up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 am 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

Ian and I decided that I should go to the Potsdam theater (about an hour from me) and talk to someone there in person. We will be supporting anything from Utica and north. If anyone is thinking of organizing an event in that general area, let us know here. Ian and I can help, especially if it is north of Utica.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 pm 

Signal Origin:
Upstate NY

It looks like I will be able to get a theater (still waiting on 100% confirmation, but it is looking very good). I think the main thing is judging interest in the area... I would hate to do it and have 30 people show up. It is something I will need to think about since this is a pretty rural area. Ian... I haven't heard from you in a little while. Do you think you could help me organize this when the time comes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:36 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

NaziCow -

I'll also get you hooked up with a mentor to help guide you through the process -- including advertising to get people to come to the screening. Once you start posting flyers & announcements, you'd be surprised how many Browncoats start showing up.
Be sure to PM Kethra and let her know you're one of our new organizers. She'll change you to Organizer status on the forums. And be sure to start your own thread with the name of your theater's town. That way folks who show up here looking for a screening can identify it easily and get the details for when & where.

You're on your way!

--Tanya