[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Toronto, ON Canada - 6 June & 20 June 2009 (Reg)

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:08 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Birmingham / Warwick UK

Awesome!
The evillaugh contest is such a great idea!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:53 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

I'll push the people taking pictures to see if we can get any up on the flickr group. One of my favourite bits was when everyone in the audience started waving their arms in the air along with Captain Hammer! :lol:

But we've moved on! And we are promoting the astonishingly shiny things we have at the auction.Such as this little item I asked a certain person to sign when he was at Harvard in April...Image

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:36 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Lovely piece, Lioness - and a signature? Hmmm. Can't quite make it out. :P

Good thinking ahead on your part.

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

I just got an email from someone offering her services for the day of the event. She will set up a little booth and take pictures - 4 to a sheet, just the way you can do it in increasingly rare photobooths.And the usual $1.00 per set will all go to Equality Now.
I love it when enthusiastic fans show up, great things in hand! :D This screening just keeps getting better all the time.
For even more details head to:
torontoserenity.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:33 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Wow, that's great, Lioness! It is wonderful when someone volunteers their time or their creative talents - or both - especially unexpectedly. :)

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:29 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Two more people got in touch with me over the weekend - "I have this - can you use it?" or "I think I can get ahold of that - would you want it?"
Trying to keep the auction list updated is a full time job for our Organizing Committee person, Laurie.
Only 5 more days!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 am 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

This is it! Our big day! It is pouring rain outside so we may have to open our doors a little earlier than planned. But that's ok! We've got lots to keep the hordes amused!
Since we don't expect to fill the 800 seat theatre, people will have their choice of upstairs or downstairs, single seats or "love seats." :wink:
They can have their picture taken in our photobooth or decide which of the many shiny things they will buy.
We have an great slide show with thanks to the sponsors, trivia questions and closeups of many of the auction items- with frequent reminders of where the closest bank machines are. :lol:
The DVD that Global sent us is awesomeness personified. Thanks to everyone who clearly worked very hard to get this done.
We know that some people in the audience will be new to Serenity and that is just great. It is always wonderful to hear it again fresh through others reactions. Samatwitch and I are running neck and neck with how many times we have seen it on the big screen but I believe that this will be my 21st time.
And the door prizes and auction will finish the afternoon in high style. Think a cross between Shindig and War Stories!
Then over to a pub, where I may fall asleep in my beer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:36 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Best of luck!

We want to hear all about it once you've fished yourself out of your beer & recovered a little.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:22 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

I'm a little late posting this, but you know I've been sending you good thoughts all day, Lioness! Can't wait to hear how successful you were - because I know you are/were!!

I'm just glad I still have another week!

Looking forward to hearing your good news later on, Lioness.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:08 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

A success!
We are still counting the money and waiting on the settling of some bills but very very tentatively, it does look as though we might have made around $6,000, Cdn. That is for both the Dr. Horrible screening and the Serenity screening combined.
And since we didn't have as much overlap as you would expect, I can say that there were about 300 people at the 2 events.
The new (to us) theatre was a great success and possible only because they were willing to give us such a great deal. But I think we are spoiled now. Could we ever go back to a theatre without proper lighting and a microphone? I don't think so!
What was especially heartwarming was the thanks we received for putting this on. People who really really got how important the work is that Equality Now does.

I was in the lobby guarding the auction items but went into the theatre during that pivotal moment towards the end. The gasps from the audience confirmed what I had thought - we had a lot of new people there.

Thanks to everyone who came out, who bid on the auction, who bought stuff, who came up to me in the pub afterwards and said "I'd just like to give a little extra for Equality Now" and pressed a few bills into my hand.
All of our hard work would have been for naught if it was not for you. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:14 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Congratulations, Lioness!! I know how hard you worked on this, but it does make it all worthwhile when you see the results - and hear how people have enjoyed themselves and supported such a worthwhile cause. It sounds like an amazing day. I hope you are having a relaxing day today!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

That's fantastic news!!! Wow! Well done!!! :D

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:43 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:19 am 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

It was a lot of work but worth it. i was worried that we would not do as well as last year due to the amount of auction items but our fellow browncoats came through and donated a lot of nice items.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

You guys did an amazing job. Simply AMAZING!! Well done! :D