[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Nottingham, UK - 16 June 2009 (Reg)

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:07 pm 

Signal Origin:
Nottingham, UK

It looks like we're going to get a screening sorted in Nottingham - first off, if there's anyone else in the area with similar plans, speak up now!

I just took over organising this...well, yesterday, so I'm still figuring out what I need to do (it's been talked about as a "wow, that would be awesome, let's do it!" thing for nearly a year, but nothing's actually been done yet) - so I'll probably be back with loads of questions once I've got things organised a bit.

So, yes... Nottingham! Screening! Shiny! :D

[edit 6th May] Ok, Nottingham now has a confirmed venue, date and time, and this screening is happening!

Where: A48 Clive Granger Building, University Park (the Unversity of Nottingham main campus)
When: Tuesday 16th June
Time: 6.30pm, doors open at 6pm.
Cost: £5 (since we're expecting a lot of students, we're just having one flat rate rather than a higher price and then a discount for students/concessions/under 18s/etc)

Serenity will be shown at 6.30pm, then there will be a half hour break followed by Dr Horrible - probably with sing-along audience!

[edit 7th June] I'm pleased to announce that tickets are finally available online (although you're welcome to buy them at the door as well) - just go to www.su-web2.nottingham.ac.uk/~scifi/csts.php and scrolls down to the "Buy Tickets" section!

Last edited by Eithil on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Nottingham, UK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:25 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Very Shiny indeed.

Do you have some folks helping you out?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:23 am 

Signal Origin:
Nottingham, UK

Yup - I've got the University of Nottingham Science-Fiction and Fantasy Society behind me on this, so helper minions aren't a problem :) As soon as the society's president beats his current essay deadline, we're going to sit down and hash out some details and plans, then we'll be back with useful information like the planned date.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:17 pm 

Do you need assistance with obtaining a print from Universal UK? If so, contact me at wscott@odeonuk.com.

Good luck and regards
Wendy Scott

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:05 am 

Signal Origin:
Nottingham, UK

Ok, Nottingham is rolling! We have a confirmed venue - room A48 in the Sir Clive Granger Building, University Park, Nottingham (ie, on the University of Nottingham main campus), a date: Tuesday June 16th, and a time: 6.30pm, doors open at 6pm! There's also a visitor's car park right next to the Clive Granger building, which is free to park in after 5pm.

We will be showing Serenity at 6.30, followed by a half hour break, and then showing Dr Horrible.

Tickets will be £5, and there will be some sort of raffle/tombola with the global swag as prizes. Subject to us getting permission from the University, we will also be selling drinks and sweets outside the door.

Our webpage is here: http://su-web.nottingham.ac.uk/~scifi/csts.php. Unfortunately we're not selling tickets online yet, but I'm aiming to make that happen at some point soon!

I'll go update the top post...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin, TX

Excellent! I've updated your website on the front site.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:52 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Eureka, CA

That's awesome news! Let us know if we can do anything further to help. :mrgreen: Sounds like it's gonna be a good time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:34 pm 

Signal Origin:
Nottingham, UK

I'm pleased to announce that we're now (finally!) selling tickets online on our website - just go to www.su-web2.nottingham.ac.uk/~scifi/csts.php and scroll down to the "Buy Tickets" section!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 pm 

Signal Origin:
Nottingham, UK

Having survived the screening, survived the "omg we survived the screening" celebration, packed up all my stuff and left Nottingham for good (which has no correlation to how the screening went!)... I finally have some time to let everyone know just how well it went!

We got 69 people attending, which is above average for a UK showing, and there were no major disasters and only a few very minor ones over the course of the whole night! The raffle tickets for the prizes sold like priceless shiny objects, and despite a few quirks of the law of averages that saw a couple of people winning about three prizes each the raffle itself also went well. Dr Horrible was received to universal acclaim, complete with the audience singing along and the spontaneous waving of arms during Everyone's A Hero!

Possibly most importantly, it looks like we've raised over £300, which I'm told translates to about $500, and I'm absolutely over the moon about it - anything above breaking even was good enough for me, but a genuine solid profit is even better!

Unfortunately I don't think we have any photos of the event... I tried to organise a few people to bring cameras and take photos, but it got a bit lost in the craziness of making everything happen on the night, and as my main camera monkeys were also my computer monkey and global raffle monkey, they were as busy as I was!

Despite the fact I've graduated, packed up and left Nottingham now, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Society has every intention of holding another screening next year, bigger and better and more organised than this year. We'll be back! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:25 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

That's fantastic!!! Congratulations, and well done to everyone involved!!

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:40 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Congratulations!!!!

Sounds like you've planted the seed and your team will continue in your absence. Well done.

(a little sad about no pics :( - perhaps some will turn up from folks who attended)