Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:06 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Seattle, WA USA - on the Rim

Wishing you a shipload of good luck for this weekend, Gayle! :mrgreen:
*visualizing barrels of cashy money coming your way*
I'm already making plans to attend Vancouver's shindig next year and spend time in Victoria as well. It's gonna be a shiny good time!
:)

Can't Stop the Serenity - Seattle - 2011- http://www.cstsseattle.org

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:15 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Traevynn. Are you going to Portland for this weekend? Glad you're planning on coming next year, but Serena doesn't want to talk about until after Saturday!! :)

I just received an autographed copy of his book, Variable Star, co-written with Robert A. Heinlein, from Spider Robinson for our Silent Auction. Happy, happy!

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:44 pm 

Signal Origin:

Sweet! I gotta talk to you after the dust settles about how you get all this shiny swag. We have a difficult time here so I need new ideas and suggestions. :?
Yes, I'm headed for Portland this weekend along with a small contingent from the Sea'Coats. It'll be a quick day trip then back home to continue planning for our screening next month.
Wave to Serena for me!
:D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:47 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Will do. Have fun in Portland!!

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:19 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

It's over for another year, but what a blast it turned out to be! Everyone seemed to have fun, we raised lots of money - over $3500 it looks like, including $1500 in the Silent Auction. We charged a minimum donation of a quarter for the Bingo cards, but got close to $100 I think. (We counted the money last night, but I forgot to ask how much change we had - we did get $60 in bills in the jar though!)

The Firefly Trivia Bingo was a hit with a lot of people, although it took longer than we thought/planned. (Thanks to James, Lynn & Arielle from the CA Browncoats for their ideas & suggestions.) Jedisix did a terrific job of calling the game and after we had two winners Serena & I ended up playing Jeopardy to people who wanted to know the questions to the answers they had on their cards that they didn't get. :D

There were a lot of people there who had not seen Dr. Horrible before and even more had not seen the musical commentary, but they all loved it. I hope we can do that all over again next year. In the costume contest, we had a Doll and a Groupie (complete with hair), as well as a lot of Serenifly characters.

We didn't sell out but had 186 people in a 210-seat theatre which felt fuller and cosier than last year. Most people came for the full day, although there were some people who had to work who came later or left earlier.

And I really did do nothing today except sleep, cuddle my cat who was very patient with me not being home except to sleep for the past couple of weeks, and try to catch up on some of my e-mails!

I already have some ideas for next year! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Sounds fantastic! Congratulations!! :D Time for a well deserved rest.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks. Sorry we keep missing each other on chat, but I do have to go to bed now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:52 pm 

Signal Origin:

YaHOOO! Sounds like a great time, Gayle. :mrgreen: Get lots of sleep and pet the kittycat. You've earned it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:20 am 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

186 of 210 is very good. Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Traevynn and Alex. We really had a blast!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 pm 

It was all because of you Gayle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:29 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thank you. I had a lot of help, especially on the day of!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:13 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

At last we have our final total: $3,562.18 US! Because of the Canadian dollar being stronger, there isn't as much difference as last year, thank goodness. This results in a $2,834.23 US ($3,000 CDN) donation to Equality Now and $750 CDN to our local charity, BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre Foundation.

Thanks again to all my volunteers, sponsors and donors. It was a very successful event. Now the goal if to better than in 2010! :D (I already have a box of prizes, auction items and we're working on improving the Firefly Bingo since people seemed to enjoy that.)

In the meantime, I've started my preparations for Christmas and the holiday season so I will be busy until after New Year's.