CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post subject: Event Hostings
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:01 pm 

I asked about this before, last year, but I was unable to get the financial (nor the people) support to make anything happen.

Now I have other people that would be interested in helping if I do something and I am thinking of contacting one / both of the local Drive-In theatres about screening Done the Impossible and Serenity as a double feature.

My concerns are thus:
1. Is there any way to establish seed money to rent the hall other than selling advanced-sale tickets?
2. What do people think about doing a screening at a Drive-In?
3. What are people's thoughts on how to handle the possibility of bad weather on the day of the screenings should it occur?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:34 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Oregon

We faced the same problem getting seed money. I know of two solutions:

1. Become a nonprofit, the donations are tax deductable
2. borrow from well-to-do friends or family

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:35 pm 

Signal Origin:
Oregon

Wow! You have access to a drive-in? Shiny!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:06 pm 
Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

A Drive-In would be awesome!! I wish we still had some around here!

I'm not sure how you'd deal with bad weather though - unless they have a diner that people can congregate in for any group portions of the event.

As for seed money, I've come across a few suggestions over the past few years - not sure how effective they might be for you, but it might give you a place to start.

- Seek sponsorship from local businesses. Tell them it's a charity event, and get them excited. Offer them prime advertising space in return for becoming the venue sponsor (ie. they pay for the venue). They would probably need to pay the venue directly off an invoice. You could give them a swanky title, like Platinum Sponsor or Venue Sponsor.

- Have fundraising BBQs or similar in the months leading up to the event. Yard/Garage Sales could also work - what about getting a group together and having a combined Yard Sale? If they're in good traffic areas, it could also act as a form of promotion for the coming event.

- Hold a Pre-Event Auction. Get some items donated, and auction them off (you could use ebay or the like). Heck, you could even run a Bachelor/ette auction at a convention, or auction off skills (eg. people who will make a specific item, do a specific task etc)

- Pre-sell T-shirts or other promotional items that you make. Take pre-orders and then have the items available at the event or before (so people can wear their new shirt around and about to promote the event).

Hope that helps!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:12 pm 

I sold ad space in our program. It helped offset some of the costs.

Post subject: Re: Event Hostings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

shadohrt wrote:
2. What do people think about doing a screening at a Drive-In?
3. What are people's thoughts on how to handle the possibility of bad weather on the day of the screenings should it occur?

We had a discussion here in Charlotte about using the local drive-in theater. It would definitely be a unique venue.
But we had some concerns of our own. Our main goal in 2008 was to develop more of a "shindig" feel to the event. We had always felt rushed into and out of the theater and rarely got a chance to really mingle. Having everyone sitting in their respective cars didn't offer much an opportunity for mingling. Of course people could always get out of their cars and mill around the theater grounds. But most likely they would be the Browncoats who are outgoing. Our more reserved members would likely stay in their cars and therefore never get a chance to make new friends. That could also affect any auction or merchandise sales too.

Our other concern was the weather. In two out of the three years we've held charity screenings, we've been inundated with bad weather just as our shindig commenced. And I don't mean a little sprinkle -- we had some massive gutter-cleaners. Rain wouldn't necessarily force us to cancel our event at a drive-in, but it would certainly guarantee that EVERYONE stays in their car.

That said, your experience might be completely different. It all depends on your goals for your screening. And what your area's typical summer weather is. Incidentally, where are you located?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

which is funny because you should be smack bang in the middle of summer. we turned down the idea of the drive ins because its smack bang in the middle of winter here, and there's no way you can count on it not to rain, not even in this drought, i'm sorry im not supposed to use that word the government says. this dryness.

i'd love to see someone do a drive-in showing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Miranda wrote:
which is funny because you should be smack bang in the middle of summer.

Here in the Southeastern U.S., the ultra-high summertime humidity causes pop-up storms to form most afternoons around 4-6p. They're not widespread, but they can really pack a wallop for the small areas they cover. Heavy downpours, lightning, wind, sometimes hail. It's usually how we get our summertime precipitation.
Heh, just a little meteorological tidbit for ya.

Quote:
i'd love to see someone do a drive-in showing

Me too. I think there's a classic romanticism to them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Event Hostings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:13 pm 

Stoweaway wrote:
That said, your experience might be completely different. It all depends on your goals for your screening. And what your area's typical summer weather is. Incidentally, where are you located?

My initial goal is to just figure out how to HAVE a screening. Most of the people that would come for the first couple of years would be people I know and the people they know.
I would like, eventually, to be able to make a full day (or even a full weekend) of the event so that people can come in costume, have fun and just enjoy being around similarly-minded folk.

As for where I am: southern Maine. Summers here range in weather from cold and damp to hot and dry and we have very little ability (like everywhere) to predict what it will be like in 7-8 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Phoenix, AZ

We've been kicking around the idea of doing a drive-in for a coupla years now, but might actually pursue it this year, if the range of dates available opens up.

For us in Phx, well, if it's 110+ during the day in late June/early July, it's only slightly cooler at night. Plus it's "monsoon season" so you never know when it might decide to rain.

If we moved to September, the nighttime temp would only be 85-90 (lol) and the sun would be setting earlier, so we could actually start to show a movie earlier than 9pm.

We were thinking of setting up a kind of party atmosphere in front of the screen, suggesting folks bring their own lawn chairs, and do a good sound system down front. I have to admit this is all theoretical, haven't talked to any theatre yet.

To raise seed money, what we do is hold several bake sales in advance, and approach some local sf clubs (fangroups) for $100 donations. (As part of our efforts to save money, we ask for free ads in any "nearby" convention publications and fan newsletters, we get the theatre for free, and get a local used bookstore who's active in community service to donate the money for our print, donate their bags for our swag bags, donate some of their merchandise to supplement our prize stash, donate the creation of some of our printed materials, and donate some cash that we use however we need to. Some of our club members kick in donations too.

This nice influx of cash helped us to buy more merchandise to sell, which in turn made us able to raise more money this year, despite having a lower attendance.

Profile E-mail