[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Serenity - the movie itself

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:27 pm 

Signal Origin:
Oklahoma City, OK

Now as you know this will be my first event (2008) as an organiser.

I'm not sure who else is new, but what is the process on getting a hold of a print of the movie?

How far in advance do we need to request?
I read on the old forum that DVD's can be used. Is this our own copy or a special screening copy?

Does anyone have an FAQ or details on this to post?

I'm a stickler for planning well so I like to know things WELL in advance to avoid last minute freak outs.

'The screening is tomorrow, I can't wait.'
'Where's the movie honey?'
'What movie?'
'OH SH*T!!!!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:56 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Just sit tight for a little while longer. It's gonna take some time to rebuild all the info that was contained on our last forum. (mumble, curse, mumble)

But I can tell you the answer to your question. Your theater should be the one to contact Universal. Each theater has a rep at Universal that they deal with on a regular basis.
If there is any question about the flat $250 pricing for using the movie, then they can contact Paul Ginsburg at Uni who gave us our shiny price.
Once we get a new coordinator, we should also get Paul Ginsburg's contact info re-posted in case of emergency. But we have been asked NOT to contact Universal ourselves for any reason.

About the DVDs -- I don't have a lot of experience with that since our theater was not DVD capable. But I think that Uni will send a DVD to the theater that they may play. I don't know if it's different from the one we can buy off the shelf or not, though. One theater manager we spoke to seemed to think it was the same thing. Anyone else have the info on DVD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:08 am 

My recollection is that the DVD option was for venues that weren't actually outright theaters, although Devin can fill in what the specifics were there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 pm 

Signal Origin:
Northern Wilds of Chicagoland

I don't think Uni did send a DVD to the theater. Generally, you just use a commercially available disc, but you're paying Uni for the *right* to publicly exhibit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:32 am 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:56 pm 

Signal Origin:
Madison, WI

When our town did "movies in the park" events, swank would send out a special copy of the DVD that had just the movie itself on it. As I remember, this copies are only for venues that do not have 35mm projection capabilities and the advertising restrictions are extremely binding that it almost makes it worthless.

As for the 35mm print, depending on your theater's relationship with Universal, this is probably about a $100 discount from their second run pricing and also does not include a per seat or percent of gross charge that normally accompanies all 35mm prints so I would say this is still quite a bargain.

One last thing to consider... most theater chains will pass on the cost of shipping the pint to you. This fee is usually around $50 in the states but depends on how far you are from a distribution center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:03 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

The first year we rented our theatre (which is a private non-profit one) we had to have a credit card imprint for a bond that was originally over $750. This included $500 for film rental and $250 for possible courier charges! When I said we were being charged a flat rate of $250 for the film and no per-seat charge, they lowered the bond to $500.

Luckily for us, the print has not had to come from Toronto (which would have been about $125 courier charges each way for the two canisters), but just from across town, which meant courier charges were about $30!! However, the $250 courier charges are always built into our expected expenses, just in case.

Of course, last year, the theatre was so pleased to have us back that they didn't even make us pay in advance!

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:30 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Philadelphia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:49 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:07 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

I asked this question on one of the other threads and didn't get an answer (and can't remember the thread!) so I'll ask it again. When we pay the flat $250 fee, is that for one showing or for 'a weekend' as Philadelphia had last year? If it seems feasible expense-wise, I'm thinking of doing two showings this year, but if we have to pay double for everything, it may not be worth it.

I know some cities did two events last year - what did you have to pay for the film rental?

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:49 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

im sure someone said it was for the weekend, but i'm not sure. i'd PM devin to be sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:16 am 

Signal Origin:
Northern Wilds of Chicagoland

I'm think it's for the weekend. I'm pretty sure Bix did two dates last time, so he'd know too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:17 am 

My understanding is that it's for whatever you do for the weekend. Our venue guy last year was very happy when he was told that by his Uni rep when booking the film for our event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:28 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks for the info, b!x. I was hoping that was the case.