CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:59 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

It’s the end of the year, and we’re ending 2009 with a spectacular finale!

To celebrate the end of another year of fantastic events, the Global 2009 Can’t Stop the Serenity Team, in conjunction with the California Browncoats, are proud to give you the chance to win some fantastic prizes in our online “Last Hurrah” auction.

https://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/auction09

All proceeds will be donated to Equality Now and be included in the 2009 Global Donation Total, which currently stands at US $128,000. Your bids will help us to reach this year’s goal of US $150,000 raised for charity!

Here’s just a sampling of what’s up for grabs this week:

◦ Serenity mini-poster signed by Joss Whedon
◦Gorgeous photo signed by Dichen Lachman
◦ Rare original first draft script of Angel: Aftermath comic, Issue #18, autographed by writer Kelley Armstrong, plus copies of Angel: Aftermath Issues #18, #19 and #20 autographed by Kelley Armstrong.
◦ Dr Horrible’s Sing-along Blog print signed by Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day
◦ Serenity prop chopsticks and Companion Pack
◦ The Guild: Season 1 DVD, signed by the entire guild
◦ Tour of the Dollhouse costume department with Shawna Trpcic, plus a gorgeous photo signed by Felicia Day
Visit our Auction page for the full list! The auctions will go live this week on eBay, so start saving up!

All proceeds from the auctions will be donated to Equality Now, so bid high and bid often! This is a wonderful opportunity to own an awesome prize, and help Equality Now fight for the rights of women and girls who can’t fight for themselves.

Let’s end the year with a bang, and hit our target of $150,000 raised by Browncoats for Equality Now and other worthy charities through Can’t Stop the Serenity 2009!!

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:15 am 

Signal Origin:
Oregon

Everything sounds so great! Wish I wasn't poor. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

can we get an estimate of the auction tally as they are now all over?

although i was a bit confused. it said week 1.... are there other auctions to follow?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:11 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Miranda, there is another week of auctions still to go. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:40 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

ahhh that was a bit unclear. oh well yay! could i suggest a week long auction this time? with perhaps more varying finish times? giving it a week might help get word out a bit more. i assumed it would be a week long auction.

just that for people in other countries... 3am might not be a good time for all the auctions to finish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

The California Browncoats are handling the auction logistics. Week 2 will be a 7 day auction, and while it would be nice to find an end time that suits all potential bidders globally, it isn't really feasible. The auctions are scheduled to finish between 8-9pm Pacific Standard Time (ie. California), which roughly equates to 3-4pm in Australia (Eastern Standard Time) and 4-5am in UK.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:11 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

see that just sucks for the UKers as nothing popular is ever won on ebay 5 hours before the auction ends.

having some of the items finish at 1am US time is not a big ask so that UK bidders have a chance to win without having to get up at 4am to snipe a win. last weeks auctions finished at those times, so why not be fair and let the times suit another country better without really disadvantaging the country most bidders will come from. its much easier to stay up late to bid in the last minute than it is to get up before you normally would. (or am i the only one who finds this?)

otherwise it does seem highly biased to AUS/USA/Canada and this was something you guys talked about trying to avoid by having GSC members represent regions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

We do take your point, Miranda, however, for Week 2, the auctions have already been scheduled by the California Browncoats. The times did not seem to impact the success of the Week 1 auctions, as many of the prizes were won by individuals in Australia and Europe (Germany and Sweden).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 pm 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

1 a.m Pacific time is 4 a.m. Eastern time and that isn't great for those of us in the eastern North America. So there really isn't a good time! :)

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:06 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

thus the suggestion of staggered finishing times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:27 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

The suggestions will be passed on to the next GO so that they can take them into consideration if they do a similar auction. It might also be worth noting that the auction end time needs to be suitable for the people who are listing and managing the auction, as there are often questions and issues that need resolving quickly in the last hour of an auction.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:31 pm 

Signal Origin:
Phoenix, AZ

Just a note - it really wasn't clear that there was a second week of these auctions, even on the Last Hurrah Auction page. It was implied because all the information that first went out did say "Week 1" but at that point, you couldn't find any information about week 2. And, I can't seem to find an Organizers Announcement or Broad Wave in my email about the second week of auctions starting. The first I saw of it was some tweets yesterday from CSTS and an organizers announcement I got in my email inbox this morning at 2:30 a.m. saying today was the last day. In the posts above there was mention that this was a 7 day auction, but on the website the first it was mentioned was on November 25th, making this a 5 day auction at the most.

We've been trying to promote this on our website and in our forums, but without the information, I couldn't do anything. I'm not trying to be negative, though I don't know I've worded this well enough to avoid that, but I do think these little things may make a difference and it's something to keep in mind if we do this again next year. It may also be a good idea to consider not holding the auction over Thanksgiving weekend (here in America at least), or at least not start it the day before Thanksgiving. Many people are traveling, spending time with family, etc., and not necessarily thinking about eBay auctions!

I hope the event is successful regardless - it seems those who want the items knew they were there to bid on, so lets hope any stragglers can bring those bids up today!

Jennifer
Arizona Browncoats
http://www.azbrowncoats.org

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:06 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the feedback Jenn. I'll pass the feedback about the confusion around the length of the auctions to the California Browncoats. We had been advised that they were going to be 7 day auctions, but it would appear that (given how busy everyone is at the moment) they missed the listing deadline for a 7 day, and had to go with 5 days instead.

Regarding the communciations, the Week 2 announcement was published on our website the day the auctions were listed (which is subsequently posted on Twitter and Facebook). However, due to previous feedback around too much mail being sent out via Broadwaves and the Organisers Update, I elected not to send a Broadwave about it at the same time, and instead wait until the end date was closer. I've noted your feedback about this and the auction timing however, and will make sure to pass this on to future Global Teams.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:01 am 

Signal Origin:
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks for the response Jen!

I'm disappointed to hear about people complaining of too many emails - it's how I keep track of stuff when I'm busy. Yes, I get two emails every time something goes out by Broad Wave and to the Organizers, but I just delete one, have gmail filter and archive the other one appropriately, and move on. I'd much rather get a duplicate email than not get one and miss something important like this! Twitter feeds get bogged down, so do Facebook statuses, but my filtered gmail is my old reliable among the chaos!