[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - PLANNING AN OUTDOOR EVENT

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 pm 

Does anyone have expertise with outdoor events. Our group is considering planning a weekend event on a campground for the CSTS 2009? Any advice? Some things we're already talking about. . .
OUR COST
site cost
a/c dorm
food
decorations
projector& screen
viewing rights
music

WORKSHOPS
knitting
crafts
RPG
marathon viewing
discussions
David
Drum Circle
Equality Now

CONTESTS
trivia
quoting
costumes
skits

FUNDRAISING
yard sale
vendors
lunch
bake sale

THE SCHEDULE
friday night- social event
saturday afternoon - groups/workshops
saturday night- Browncoats Ball
sunday brunch-Dr. Horrible
sunday matinee- Serenity

THE PRICE
day trip for Serenity only 10.00
1 night, 2 meals, a/c dorm $30.00
2 nights, 2 meals, a/c dorm $60.00
Family Rate $100.00 2 parents+ kids under 12

Please help us with your thoughts!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:39 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Oregon

Wow! Sounds like a blast! Where are you located?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:04 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

I know i have a dream of doing it at a drive in or setting something up with moonlight cinema.

the former clashes with the rainy season and the latter is very commercial and at the wrong time of the year.

sounds like a big event.

I know in Oz, there is often big damn meets, where they do trips and stuff. Jenski might have more details on what they do. I think it's much smaller scale though, and they tend to stay at each others places.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:43 pm 

Signal Origin:
Memphis, TN

That sounds awesome William! Keep me updated and maybe we'll come there if there isn't one here. $60 with room and food is a great deal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:51 pm 

Signal Origin:
Memphis, TN

You might also want to look into how much a big tent would be to rent in case of rain, then look at the forecast close to the weekend and see what the weather's supposed to do, or see if the campus would guarantee you some kind of indoor place in case of rain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 am 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Hmmm, I posted a response to this and it seems to have disappeared. Weird.

I would recommend talking with Linda over at www.bigdanglarp.com. Last year her gang put on a very successful LARP in an outdoor setting. She has lots of experience and might be able to offer you a few tips. And, as an added bonus, she's like one of the nicest people I know.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:41 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin, TX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:50 pm 

Did the outdoor event ever happen? I would like to chat with somebody who has put one together as I will be organizing an outdoor screening this August in Fresno, CA (or more likely Clovis - a suburb of Fresno).

I am trying to locate a park with adequate restrooms so I don't have to deal with porta-potties and should have that done by the end of the week.

My screen is 20' wide, 12' tall (viewable area) and I have a projector capable of putting out enough light to reach the top end of the theater standards for lighting (16FtL) plus 7.1 digital surround sound. All I need gear wise is a new blu-ray player so I don't have to take mine out of my rack and a trailer to transport all my stuff to the site. Don't know how large a screen other people are doing but I figure I should be good for 300-450 people with the gear I have.

Just curious if the outdoor events get more or fewer people attending than traditional venues...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:05 pm 

Well, apparently it might be a problem to show this outdoors in a public park since it is PG-13. I won't have a firm answer for our area parks until tomorrow at the earliest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:42 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

The outdoor event referred to in this thread is scheduled for August 7-9 in Nashville.
The event thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=606&p=5165#p5165

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:25 pm 

I got a response from Swank on the license to show Serenity for our screening. I was told $350 or 50% of the proceeds from the gate, whichever is more. At the risk of sounding like Jubal Early, does that right to you?

This was for a DVD presentation (although I would use the BluRay for higher quality) and I was also told I am not allowed to post any handbills promoting the event and was told that they discourage paid advertising to promote the event via television, radio or newspaper. That sounds odd to me. As this is my first foray into hosting an event, I don't have anything to compare this against.

Also, is there any way I could get into the part of the forum for organizers?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:40 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin, TX

As soon as I get the go ahead that your form has been received, I'll get you setup. So far, I've heard nothing. Sorry :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:52 pm 

Odd, I sent it in last week. Should I resubmit it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin, TX

Just probably a communications thing. I haven't heard from Diana about your submission. I'll try getting in touch with her.