CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:14 pm 

I would like to start a charity screening of Serenity in Kent, Oh. Kent is a college town, the home of Kent State University, and has a large enough liberal population that I beleive a showing of Serenity would do well there. I have no clue how to approach the theater managment. I would like a few pointers from experienced event starters.

Also, I have missed the deadlines for the 2009 showings, but I can't find any info on starting an event in 2010. Any info about starting a showing would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:50 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Having run a screening with just a little over three weeks lead time, I can tell you that you will want to start now, even though there is no info for next year just yet.

I believe that most screenings are between May and October, and that should be your aiming point. With it being a college crowd, you will want to have it within a few weeks after school starts in the fall of next year in order to maximize your possible crowd.

I would start talking with theater owners now. If you can find one close to campus that is independently owned, you might find the owner more apt to waive the theater fee if he believes he can move a lot of popcorn and soda. Also, with it being a college campus, there is likely a large theater with digital projection capabilities that you might be able to utilize for next to nothing, being that it is for charity. This is a good option as it allows you much more flexibility in scheduling events.

You have to start making contacts in the area in the press and radio, contacts with comic book stores, sci fi clubs, and so on. These are the people that can make your event a success. If you start now, you can have a great event next year.

It is a lot of work, so I would find a few people that you trust to help you. Otherwise you will be in over your head if you try to do it completely alone. Hello Panic Attack!!!

That's all I have for now, but I know that there is a wealth of info out there from the rest of us, and we love spreading the signal!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Information on registering to hold a 2010 CSTS event and details on the 2010 event window will be made available once the 2010 Global Organizer has been announced. Normally, registration is open from February each year.

However, if you want to start getting prepared, I recommend reading through the 2009 How To Guide that is available here: https://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/event-registration/

There will be a new How To Guide released for 2010, but the 2009 How To Guide should give you a good head start.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com