CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:34 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Alex, and to Toronto, too.

We have less than 20 tickets left. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the sellout!

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:14 pm 

Signal Origin:
Nashville, TN/Scottsville,Ky

Off you go! Enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:32 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks. I'm leaving now. If things aren't done now, probably not going to get done! (I even cooked a turkey and sliced it yesterday so one of our members could make wraps for 'sale' by donation. :D)

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

So how did it go? Recovering like us ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Yes, recovering is a good word for it. My adrenaline finally ran out quite abruptly about 11:30 last night. :)

Vancouver's event was a success! We sold out (213 people, including three people in wheelchairs) and even had to turn a few people away. We made a bit more money on our silent auction than last year ($1601 this year); we sold out of bingo cards and our 30 ($2) grab bags in about an hour; and we made $225 in donations on wraps. The wraps were a new thing this year. Because it is an all-day event with no restaurant nearer than about a 10-minute walk each way, it was the one complaint we had last year. We encouraged people to bring their own food, although they can't eat it in the auditorium, but lots of people don't want to do that and they would have to consider what's safe to keep unrefrigerated for the day.

The owner of the cafe where the Browncoats (and Stargate, Star Trek, Dr. Who, B5, etc) fans hang out offered to make wraps this year. Unfortunately, because of the World Cup, he couldn't come to the event itself, but I cooked a turkey on Friday and sliced the white meat for him and he donated everything else, including his time. He made turkey wraps, as well as ham, Italian sausage and vegetarian. We couldn't sell the wraps, but we could ask for donations, which we did - minimum $5 donations.

Altogether, it looks like we made a few hundred dollars more than last year, which is defintely the direction we want to go! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:19 am 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

Yay Vancouver. Congrats on the sellout. It sounds like you did a lot of work but a great time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:25 pm 

Signal Origin:
Seattle, WA USA - on the Rim

Yaay Gayle! The $2 grab bags sound like a great idea! :idea: I have so many smallish items that will get lost in the raffle baskets that maybe that would be a good way to go. Put your feet up and get a massage. You deserve it! :mrgreen:

Can't Stop the Serenity - Seattle - 2011- http://www.cstsseattle.org

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:50 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

We should have made the price either $5 or had some at $2 and some at $5. There were some good items, a number of which I had picked up at Comic-Con - or other people had picked up at various cons - but fun and geeky things. There were also a few things I had bought that I thought I could live without. :)

It was a great way to use smaller items, give everyone a chance to pick something up and make a little more money for EN and BC Women's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:57 pm 

Congratulations on your event! So excited that you sold out! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Galumbits, sounds like you guys had a great time in Portland. Anybody from
Portland going up to Seattle for their CSTS in two weeks?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

I'm pleased to report (finally!) that the total amount raised by Vancouver CSTS was $4,436.56 CDN, although the dollar is pretty much at par at the moment. The 20% to BC Women's Hospital was rounded up to $900, and we rounded the payment to Equality Now up to $3500.00 US. (PayPal was still charging $.03 exchange so the original $3549.25 was going to turn out to be $3457.88.)

I don't have the cheque for BC Women's from our financial person yet to send them, but EN should have our payment.

Now planning can start on CSTS Vancouver 2011!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

Woot congrats on another successful event.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:28 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Thanks, Alex. Now we have to top that next year! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:15 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Great news! Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:35 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

What a fantastic result!! Well done :D

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com