[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - 2010 Promotional Art Contest Questions

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:12 pm 

Couple of questions:

(1) Do submissions have to be single images? What I mean is, do you accept submission which include a main piece of artwork plus additonal pieces that contain images cut-down on the detail but based on the same theme. The difference between a banner and a button I guess. the button is the same image, or a part of the same image, like an acronym instead of the full name, using the same font and colours but less letters.

(2) Does the submission have to include the twinned logo? If a '2010' style logo is used, do want the same font format as in the 2009 logo I can see at the top of this page, if yes, what font was used?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:33 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Phoenix, Az

I'm of no particular relevance, but I can tell you that I'd love to see a family of logos to work with. I did the promotion and a lot of the graphic design last year and there's some things you want a different style of logo for. Small single color flyers are very different than full size promotional posters. I know in 2006 there was a Poster logo and a Shirt logo... so taking that as a trend I'd say you can probably get away with it. Just don't get too carried away, the logos still need a recognizability.

As for matching last year's, from what I've seen over the years you're free to do whatever and in whatever colors as long as they meet the rules above (must have the logo, etc.). If you can find the poster set for all the proposed designs last year, you'll see they don't need to stick to this year's style.

For the record, I am fairly proud of my Gimp and Inkscape skills, but I don't have the creative and artistic skills to create my own design... but I'd really like to see something playing up the 5th anniversary. I'm just one vote, but I think that's something we should play up across the board this year.

"We've done the impossible, now we're gonna do it even bigger."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:14 am 

I'm fine to draw it, but frankly I don't have the Inkscape skills, and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to draw. I've not really been involved in csts before, and although I have the film, I've never done any artwork, or thought much about it. Does anyone have any cracking ideas, but are unsure about drawing it? I wouldn't mind entering as part of a team-effort - is that allowed?

Additional Question

Can we use the Sernity colours? If so, does anyone have list of the codes?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:31 am 

Is it possible to see the past years' logos? I can see 2009, 2008, and 2007 on the main site, but if this is the 5th anniversary, is 2006 available, or was there no logo that year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:54 am 

An addendum: would it be permissible to separate the two halves of the CSTS logo and incorporate them into the design? (ie: one symbol on each half of the page separated by a middle image) Can they be separated as long as the official logo also appears on the design?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:35 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

2006 had no logo beyond the twinned image (which i would imagine has to stay that way as it is the csts logo and is use din a csts annual design)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:13 pm 

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

since Equality Now works hard to end violence against women, I would generally avoid any image that suggests violence (even though some of those images are iconic in the Browncoat community). Guns & grenades are the two examples that come to mind.

But I wouldn't get too bogged down with what's a "good" idea & what isn't. The image will be put to a vote. So the public will decide if they like it. No real harm in submitting whatever you create.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:50 pm 

This is more of a personal problem than a general one, but I wasn't sure where to put it otherwize. I am finished with my artwork and have emailed two requests for a submission form, but haven't receved anything back. The competition is going to close soon and I would really like to be a part of it. Is there any reason why I'm not getting anything back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 am 

Signal Origin:
Phoenix, Az

"We've done the impossible, now we're gonna do it even bigger."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 am 

Signal Origin:
Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:39 am 
Past Global Team

For anyone who is considering a submission, some things to note:

There are no hard and fast rules about content. In general, this year's designs should include the twinned logo, but I don't know that it would exclude using each logo separately...other people would have to rule on that. Also, as mentioned previously, violent depictions should be avoided...we are supporting a charity that works to end violence.

The form that is mentioned in the rules so far seems to be more of an ideal as to how we'd like to see the contest run rather than an actuality, as no one has been able to produce said form. Please submit your entries to sara@cantstoptheserenity.com and be sure to include current contact information. All submissions should be original artwork, and NOT based on anyone else's previous art. Also, make sure it is based on Serenity, which is Universal's property, and not on Firefly, which is not.

Have fun, be creative, and good luck!

-Sara-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

i was under the impression that we were only granted use of the serenity logo originally because it was twinned with the EN logo. perhaps that now no longer applies as we've been granted greater freedom with serenityverse images, but i for one would not want to see them separated. people have come to regard that as our logo, and the artwork as the yearly design.

I guess you could always put it in, and leave it up to the voters, unless the GSC wants to step in and make a decision?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:08 am 
Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Portland, OR

I'm sorry I'm late on this thread,
I left in the 2010 original post (reworded from 2009 GO Anne) "You must use the CSTS logo and have it displayed predominantly within the piece you are submitting."
The logo means even more for our 5th anniversary, it represents our continuity as ever growing changing global group and our commitment to Equality Now
If the GSC chimes in saying it can be split, I'll cede to their fine guidance but I would prefer it stay prominent and twinned in the art designs

PDXBrowncoats 2005-present
CSTS2010 GO

"clear light in the sky"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:32 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

There seems to be some confusion around using the CSTS logo, which I'd like to clarify on behalf of the Global Steering Committee.

The CSTS logo is a single entity, formed from the twinned union of Serenity kanji & the Equality Now logo. The logo must remain complete in the design. It may not be split, separated or significantly distorted, and it must be included as a whole, connected, single entity and feature prominently in the design.

The current official global logo is below.

All designs must feature the full logo. Colours and textures may be modified to suit the design, but where possible the portion containing the Equality Now logo should retain the colours (ie. black gender symbols and red equals sign). The outline files have been provided to assist with this.

The purpose of the promotional art is to promote CSTS and the current year's events. We have all worked hard over the years to make our logo recognisable. If the logo is not used complete and in full, then we run the risk of losing the brand power that we have built over the past 5 years. Also, we do not have permission from Equality Now to use their logo on it's own for our promotional purposes, and the Serenity design is owned by Universal and to the best of my knowledge is a recognised trademark.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:33 pm 

Are we allowed to submit a team effort? I've PMed David Richins Inkscape-guy about the possibility, now I need to know if it's legal under the contest rules.