[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Questions about Film Licencing - DVD and 35mm prints...

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm 

I'm trying to host a screening at my local library but they said i could only do it if i had a licence to show the movie... how do i get one of those? i was told it would cost around 100 dollars...

Post subject: Re: licencing?!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:45 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Have you pre-registered your event yet? Once you pre-register, you will get access to the Organisers Only area, where there are heaps of resources to help you plan your event, as well as lots of other organisers to help you with information and ideas. .

Licensing requirements depend on the country, the type of venue, the screening media you are using (35mm film print vs. DVD) and whether you're charging a fee to attend the event.

Some countries have blanket agreements for educational venues such as libraries which allow them to screen films. You would need to check the laws and procedures for your country, but if you are in the US, as you are from an outside organisation and if the library does not have this license, they would need to have a Public Performance Site License from Movie Licensing USA (a division of Swank). Details on this are here: http://www.movlic.com/library/faq.html. If they do not wish to obtain this license, you would need to contact to obtain a license. The cost for a license through Swank can vary depending on location, venue and other factors.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:46 pm 

So... I've previously hosted two of the Screenings in Arlington, VA, and now that I live in Denver, and no one is seeming to have a screening, I'm making arrangements for an August event. However...
In Arlington, we just screen from a DVD at a privately owned venue, so no licensing was requested. The Tivoli in downtown Denver has requested proof of licensing, even though we will still be using a DVD (or Blu-ray, perhaps?). Does this still require Swank approval? They look like they are the 35mm people. My contact at the Tivoli mentioned I might be able to get it from "Joss Whedon's website", which I took to mean Whedonesque, but I'm not finding anything.
Thanks for any help you can give! I have to finish this by the end of the month so we can register and advertise appropriately!
Cheers,
*~K~*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Any event which involves bringing in members of the public to watch Serenity or Dr Horrible (whether you're charging a fee or not) requires that organisers obtain the rights to screen these films. Even if the venue does not require you to provide evidence that you have secured the rights, as a CSTS Organiser, you are required to follow the law and obtain the correct licensing.

I recommend that you review the How To Guide section on licensing to get more information on this, and that you pre-register your event so that you have access to the Organiser Only area which provides more details (and gets you started towards full Registration).

For Serenity in the US, DVD licensing is obtained via Swank, and 35mm prints (and accompanying licensing) are obtained through Universal. For other films, such as Dr Horrible, you will need to Pre-Register/Register your event to obtain information on licensing.

In reference your comments that the past Arlington events have not previously obtained a DVD license for Serenity, if you're talking about the events listed on the , the Arlington Cinema 'n Drafthouse is a theatrical venue (even if it is privately owned). As such, you should have obtained a DVD license for your past events.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:47 pm 

Signal Origin:
Oregon

Azirphale, here is the info on licensing:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=901

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:27 pm 

I've been looking in to helping out to do a screening here in Denver too, so if you have something going and need help, I would love to volunteer. I called the Tivoli the other day to start inquiring and the manager I spoke to said that just this week someone (she didn't know who) had booked a Serenity screening in August. I have been every year to CSTS and would hate to miss 2010 if there is anything I can do about it. Thanks!

Kimberly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 am 

Kimberly-
Yep, that would be me. August 21st, as it stands, but I'm stuck in this Catch22 - it's after June 1st, so I can only REGISTER, not Pre-Register, which requires verification of a venue, but they won't approve me until I have the license, and I can access the "Organizer's Only" Forum, which would tell me how to obtain a license... yeah.
So, I figure I'm just going to REGISTER with what I know, then obtain the license, then market the thing so that Denver doesn't have to miss out on this year's shindig.
YES, I'd love help! Are you on Facebook? There's another guy on there that said he wanted to help, too, so I'm thinking once the licensing is done and we're a GO for marketing, we should all have a sit-down and divide and conquer the upcoming tasks.
Thanks for your response, and I'll be talking with you soon!
*~K~*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:31 pm 

Signal Origin:
Oregon