CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post subject: Getting Started
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:04 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Kethra,

I'm hoping this is the best place to post my initial questions.

Last year I was the "co-pilot" for Nashville's WhedonFest, which included a CSTS screening. We started out the process thinking it would be awesome if we could raise $500-600 and finished out with a total just over $2000 that completely amazed us all.

Since then, we've formed an actual Board for our group "Whedonites United" and I was elected as Chair, which also places me in the organizer position for our event. The primary organizer from last year has recently taken over a local cafe and will not be working with us for 2010, so I guess one of my questions is what do we need to do with his account on here and how do i go about getting someone else from the active Board signed up to have access to the organizer threads?

Also, since Will started us off last year and i joined these boards after the planning was under way, I'm not sure when or where i need announce our event. I also have a couple questions about it, because I've seen something about dates outside of June & July needing Global approval, and we're set for the 6-8th of August. And though Whedonites United is based in Middle Tennessee, (and is largely made up of people who were also using the name Tennessee Valley Browncoats last year), our event is planned for Southern Kentucky because we found an excellent location that was affordable and interested in working with us.

One last question, for the moment... do we Need a "Browncoat" name affiliated with our event, or does it really matter? We can use the TVB name, but there aren't really any people "running" that group at the moment. We (Whedonites United) all consider ourselves Browncoats, but not "Only" Browncoats, hence the term Whedonites.

Sorry if this is rambly, but looking forward to your response and getting things going for this year!
Cindy

Post subject: Re: Getting Started
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:03 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Cindy,

In case Kethra doesn't spot your questions, here's some information that might assist.

Registration for 2010 events is due to open shortly. Christine Mooney, the 2010 Global Organiser, will be making an announcement when it is open. When it does, you'll get lots of information about registering events, including the elibigible event window and organiser forum access information (generally granted to those organisers who are specified on the Registration Form).

When your registration has been approved, you can create a thread for your event in the "Cities with Screenings" sub-forum. This is a great place to keep people updated about your event. The 2010 Global Team will also use the information posted there to spread the word about your event (eg. via Twitter) to give a little extra boost to your own promotional efforts.

You don't need to be part of a formal "Browncoat" group to host a CSTS event. As long as your event is registered, any group of interested individuals is welcome to host an event. Many events are organised by informal groups who simply name their event for the city in which it is held.

I hope that helps a little bit! :)

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com