[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Austin, TX

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:41 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Our event was a great success. We had a double sellout (for 5PM and 10PM). Luckily, my crew all purchased tickets and a few of them weren't actually going to use their seats (man the merch tables!) - so when a few kids showed up at each screening needing some tickets - we sold them! :)

We gave out goodie bags with badges, programs, and all kinds of free goodies, as well as a free raffle ticket for our raffle. We had around 20 raffle items at each event, including some signed merch and so really awesome gift baskets (Independent Coffee Basket, Firefly wine with Serenity Wine Charms, etc.).

5PM

We started with the intros, and then went right into the costume contest. A Kaylee won one of Heather Hill's awesome hats, and looked very pleased with the prize. Mal won 4 passes to go back to Alamo (our theatre) with some friends. Cedric of The Bedlam Bards helped call the winners, and then played a 40 minute set of awesomely awesome music. We had some Serenity-virgins in the crowd, so Cedric had to pick his song choices wisely. Didn't want to give any spoilers. After Cedric, we started the intro (which everyone loved!) and the Big Damn Movie. We had a special menu of Verse-inspired food items to eat, including a Jayne Cobb Salad and Kaylee's Strawberry Shortcake. We had a suggestion for a Big Damn Hero, from a sandwich lover.

While the movie was going, we pulled the raffle winners to save time. A bunch of people from other movies entered into our raffle and bought goodies. I thought it was fairly hilarious how many people freaked out when they saw Serenity stuff. A few people bought tickets for Hellboy II, and then saw us and asked if they could exchange them. We, of course, obliged.

After the raffle was our auction. For the 5PM event, we have 3 items:

-A companion travel kit
-4 signed scripts from Tim Minear
-The Big Damn Box, filled of everything you'd ever want: EVER. (Signed hat, shirt, Better Days comics, Those Left Behind, Special Edition DVD, CSTS Poster and Serenity poster from Joss, signed script from Tim Minear, signed Serenity Found, Tales of the Slayer, and Original Draft of "Shindig" from Jane Espenson, signed CD from Greg Edmonson, signed CD from The Bedlam Bards, and much, much more.

This was our first time doing a live auction. We weren't sure how it would go. All in all, it went very well and we'll definitely do it again.

Everyone said their goodbyes, and we thanks everyone for coming. And got ready for 10PM to do it all over again.

We set up more goodie bags to give away, and a decent crowd was already waiting in line around 845PM. We handed out badges and goodie bags and folks started buying merch. The 5PM folks paid in almost all cash. The 10PM folks we almost all credit card, so sales took much longer. Darn wireless internet being so slow! We started with another costume contest - and a YoSaffBridge + Mal won (she gave him a crown) and another Kaylee. We gave the duo the gift certificates and told YoSaffBridge that she can take Mal, or well, any other unsuspecting male from the verse. We gave Kaylee the custom CSTS jewelry that Jessi's Jewelry made. She loved it. A squee was heard. Then Cedric performed because he wants his trilogy!

And then the raffle and auction. (We did the raffle and auction before the movie so that folks would still be awake enough to bid!). We had another Big Damn Box for the 10PM event, and it went for even more money that the 5PM's! There was a bidding war between a young lady and a young gentleman which brought on much heckling of "Equality Now!!!".

We said our thank you's and then went to start the intro and Big Damn Movie when my Second-In-Command brought another basket that we thought was meant to auction (and we'd forgot...?) Instead, it was a surprise! Some CSTS Organizers, 76th Battalion Members and the Austin Browncoats put together a Spa Gift Card and Basket for me. I truly appreciate everyone that participated in this surprise. Really, this year has been quite a ride - good and bad. But, if given the chance to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. Because of some of the adversity we've faced, I've made very close bonds with a few folks on these boards. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Thank you everyone. You guys are wonderful and I'm so glad that everyone has had such successful events. 2009 - here we come!

All in all, a great event. The theatre loved us, and asked us back anytime. And we only had a few small complaints, which were really more so suggestions. (Some folks wished the musical performance was a little shorter. We're biased because, well, we love Cedric and can watch him for an hour or ten.)

And now - more sleep.

We had an amateur and professional photographer at the event, so we'll hopefully have some awesome photos.

As for our total, we’re waiting on the theatre now. But, we’ll have figures soon. Hopefully by the end of business today (CST).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:11 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:51 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Charlotte, NC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:33 am 

Signal Origin:
Oklahoma City, OK

Does anyone know when the big bags are going to shipping for those who ordered via paypal. My wife ordered one to get the limited poster to take it to get signed at Dcon at the end of the month, and hasn't recieved anything yet in the mail. We both tried emailing Beth this week, but either one of us has had any success trying to get a hold of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:01 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

just be patient. If it's urgent, try Ryan, he's been assisting with the Austin event I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 pm 

Just be patient, it's only been three whole weeks since the event. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:40 pm 

Signal Origin:
Oklahoma City, OK

Someone contacted my wife, the reason for the delay is legit so I'm not worried.....thanks for the help all.

Should have been shipped out yesterday :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:54 pm 

For the record, wasn't questioning the legitimacy of the delay. Was questioning responding to a paying customer inquiry with "just be patient".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:11 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

CplTony,

Glad it was squared away. I was in surgery August 1st, and have been in poor shape since, but I'm doing much better now. My guys had to pick up a lot of slack for me while I was out of commission, so I am truly sorry about the delay.

I hope she loves the bag!

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

I hope you're feeling better now, Beth, and on the road to a rapid recovery.

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:48 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

We sent in our Equality Now donation today, via check and registered mail, to the tune of $8500.00. We are extremely proud of our accomplishments, as well as the generosity of our local Browncoats. There are many people that need to be thanked for their support, assistance, hard work and dedication. To all of my volunteers, this would’ve been impossible without you. Kandace, the best co-emcee and auction slave – thank you for jumping right in to the swing of things. You’re relatively new to our charitable organization and fan group, but you went all in with your amazing energy and spirit. Ryan, Claudia and Jenn, you guys make me so proud. I’ve never met harder working individuals. You sacrificed seeing the Big Damn Movie (twice) in order to make sure that raffle tickets and merchandise were bought, goodie bags were given out and our attendees had everything they needed for an amazing event. Tonja, Steve, Sam, Brenda – you guys were and are my go-to volunteers. You’re always willing to do what needs to be done, and fill whatever role needs filling. I’m so impressed with how willing all of my Browncoats are to take charge and fill leadership roles. I’m reminded every day just how lucky I am to be surrounded by such a talented crew.

Thanks to Cedric of The Bedlam Bards for the incredible entertainment and to the Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek for their hospitality and generosity. That strawberry shortcake was divine!

I want to give special thanks to all of our attendees and donors. We know that finances are tighter this year than last, but your continued support and munificence made this staggering donation possible. We look forward to 2009 and hope to see all of you there! Tell your friends and family: if you loved 2008, than you are going to swoon over 2009!

Beth Nelson
Can't Stop The Serenity - Global Organizer
Austin's Can't Stop The Serenity - Local Organizer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:59 pm 

Congratulations on a job well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:29 pm 

Signal Origin:
Fort Worth

Beth!
Absolutely well done!