[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Dallas / Fort Worth, TX

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 am 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:14 pm 

I feel kind of left out of the "a good time was had by all" crowd. Myself and my family had pretty much the worst experience ever at a Sci-Fi/Browncoat event.

We are at the point that we want to never have anything to do with any of you people again.

We attended last year and it was great. This year not so much, and quite frankly we will not be back.

I don't know the name of the man with the microphone in the lobby but he had no right whatsoever to treat us the way he did.

I was merely trying to get into line after spending a chunk of money (in this economy) at the various tables. He told me to go away when I tried to make sure it was the right line. Because "going away" caused me to wind up in another line he jumped on us a few minutes later for cutting in line. Words cannot describe in this forum what happened adequately.

This 100% ruined the rest of the event.

At this point if we had not had a guest from out of town we would have left everything we had just bought and picked up and left. We are still shocked and appalled at the way we were treated at this event considering that is was a fan run event and in light of the charity that was being supported.

You folks need fewer people standing around taking pictures and more people working the lines. He needed help, but that in no way justifies the way in which we were treated.

Again, we will never be back and will probably not ever attend another Browncoat event in the area just on the chance that we will meet up with this "person".

I am sure he does not remember us, since he called me a liar for saying that he told me to "back off".

Oh well, hopefully this year our money will make it to the right place at least.

ETA: All of our swag is still piled up in those little bags. Anyone want a CSTS card with Tim Minear's auto on it? Probably best if you are named "Steve", since that is who he made it out to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

This concerns me. The only man with a microphone that was in the lobby runs that theatre. (Not a Browncoat, or part of Tara's crew.)

I will make sure Tara addresses this with the theatre manager.

I'm so sorry he mistreated you, and I hope you rethink attending Browncoat events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:53 pm 

Oh, he was with the Browncoat crew. He was the one calling out when to go in and was helping out during the auction.

He had a CSTS shirt on just like the rest of the crew.

Had no problems with the theatre staff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 pm 

Signal Origin:
North Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:13 am 

Signal Origin:
North Dallas, TX

Hello all:

Thank you to everyone that attended our 2 events in Dallas this weekend.
My sincere gratitude to all attendees, volunteers, coordinators, sponsors and special guests.

Our special guest from California was non other than TV produer, writer & director Tim Minear! If you were fortunate enough to spend a few moments chatting, you'd realize that he's probably of of the funniest, no-holds-barred people you'd ever meet. He was very candid and gracious as well.

Saturday night we had a music showcase of local women singer/songwriters that was very well attended by about 50 people. This was a special time for myself, coordinators and volunteers to gather and relax a bit before Sunday's movie screening. Tim talked with everyone and autographed numerous items as well.

Sunday afternoon's sold-out movie screening with capasity of 350 seats was well attended and I hope that everyone felt it was a special event. Beth Nelson, this year's global organizer took to the stage with me for introductions and anouncements.

Tim Minear delivered an awesome Q & A session, and then it was time for the Big Damn Movie.

Afterwards, we handed out the raffle prizes and then it was time for the auctions. A set of autographed scripts from Tim Minear's "Firefly" episodes which went for $170.00, and then it was time for the Big Damn Bag Auction. Oh my! The winning bid was $1,200.00!

A special thank you for the attenance of a large crew of Austin Browncoats, Beth Nelson the global organizer for 2008, and Rogue Scholar this year's organizer from Houston.

I will be following RoseIvy's lead and will send out a formal thank you e-mail to all attendees with sponsor links and further donation information.

We still have some items left over when time allotments prevented additional auctions. Hopefully, in the very near future, we'll put them items on-line for auction and add those funds raised to our total donation. Also, I've applied for a grant donation and am waiting for that approval.

At this moment, the total of our donation for North Texas is $4,232.14.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last edited by TaraInTexas on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:06 pm 

Signal Origin:
North Dallas, TX

I would like to add that we did have a designated person taking photos for our event.
He has posted them to his Flickr site for all to view and download for free.
Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:08 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:11 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Post subject: