[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - Grande Prairie Alberta Aug 4th Registered

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:01 pm 
2019 Global Team

At the Second Street Theatre,

10130 98 ave
Grande Prairie
Alberta
Canada

I think we are the most northern screening

from 1~6 pm

Screening, door prize(s) and auction ( I hope )
plus Verse food sampling.

This is our first CSTS, and this is our first event. We are the 28 Fighting Swans, from Swan City.

have a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Fighting28
and twitter now https://twitter.com/#!/28FightingSwans

http://gpbc28.wix.com/cstsgp
Tickets are now on sale

More information to come.

Last edited by Arcane Tremere on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Halifax, NS, Canada

Congrats on being the northernmost screening! Good to see another Canadian site. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:43 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Congratulations, Grande Prairie! I look forward to hearing more.

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 pm 

Signal Origin:
Edmonton, AB

Good luck this weekend!

Web:
Twitter:
Facebook:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:05 am 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

So, how did it go? :D

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:14 pm 
2019 Global Team

Things I leant from my CSTS event

It’s been just four months and I am amazed that we did so well. Not only could I not have done it with out our amazing crew, I have to send a special wave to four people.

First Alberta Browncoats for their amazing support and help getting me some great auction items. As well they let me come and help with their event to get an idea of how things can go so smoothly. Thank you.

As well Lioness, thank you for proof reading and nudging me in the right direction, and even correcting my hockey leanings.

And thanks to William Pace, who sent such shiny things. He kept me sane even when the USPS lost track of the patches he sent.

I can not stress that you can not have enough have enough advertising. That was the number one feedback that I have gotten back. People said they only came on what advertising we had out there by chance. I think next year we have to look into getting a radio ad budget.

But when Saturday came, everything was going ok. We had a small hiccup when work refused to give Dave and Leina the day off, and Lynn was sick. But thankfully Brenda and Jared from HIV North were able to keep things running smoothly.

The next important lesson is making sure you come in the day before and test the system. GPLT is a community theatre, and they have no Tech this summer. Fortunately I do Tech work there so this helped to keep costs down. In fact they only charged us $219.63, and that included having Encores open. This is the concession stand and bar for the theatre.

But I had to rewire the sound board, and while there was a good signal getting to the amps, the stage left speaker was not working. So five minutes before we were to show Browncoat: Redemption, I went down and saw that we have about 16 people present. I went to them and apologized that we had a one speaker, but them seemed cheerful and did not let this get them down.

Over a couple of beer, they discussed the film, most people enjoyed it. We also did our Trivia contest, which the prize was a basic copy of the Browncoat: Redemption DVD. The winner was Arnold Parlee, who was the only one with a perfect score in the first round.
Third lesson, have Encores open.

We started Serenity, which despite the sound went over well, as expected. We ended there was a quick check of a few last bids, and everyone paid up and about a third of the patrons signed up for the mailing list.

It was nice that there was just a small group of people, I had a good chance to talk to all of them and they were very proud to be the few who came to the first event.

It was then as I was cleaning up I noticed that my camera was still in the box. I know I know, I was a little scattered brained with the speaker problem, but I just said I was in character. I came as River. Next time I will be sure that it will be done.

It looks like we raised $614.37. I should be getting a cheque by the end of the month; we should be able to settle things done by then. We can now start looking forward to next year, as well as some extra get events.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:25 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Wow! That is a lot of money for a small group! Congratulations!
And I knew that Numindan of the AB Browncoats would be a great Mentor!
So happy that things worked out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:30 pm 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Way to go for your first foray into CSTS! It sounds like everyone had a good time and congratulations on the money raised.

CSTS Vancouver 2015 will be held Saturday, June 20th from Noon to 6:00 pm at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Donations will go to Equality Now (75%) and Avalon Women's Centre (25%).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:57 am 

Signal Origin:
Halifax, NS, Canada

Sounds like a fun event, and an impressive donation from a small group! Congratulations!

I was already thinking of insisting on a technical run (I was recently at an event in our indie cinema which suffered from some fairly major tech glitches) - this confirms the importance! Glad you could overcome it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:19 am 

Signal Origin:
Vancouver, BC

Even with a technical run we sometimes have glitches! But it definitely is better for all concerned if you have one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

Signal Origin:
Edmonton, AB

I am very, very proud of the 28th fighting swans ;)

Next year I'm going to drag my butt north in the big shiny RV (Nyssa: stop laughing at my description of Bessie) and be sure to attend.

Web:
Twitter:
Facebook:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am 
2019 Global Team

I sent EN our Donation and await confirmation.

um is the Total in US funds, I think today that added about $6 to our total, since Canada was doing well today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 pm 

I was very sorry to have missed GP's first CSTS :( I didn't even hear about it until the day after it happened. I'm really looking forward to next year's event, no power in the 'Verse can stop me from coming.

Since it was said that you can't get enough advertising, I would be OVERJOYED to be a part in helping get the word out there and drawing more people in to make next year's event even more successful. I do artwork, and I'd really like to help design some promotional posters if those in charge think it's a good idea. You can take a look at my gallery to see my work if you're interested. http://bronze-dragonrider.deviantart.co ... ?catpath=/

Here's the only Firefly-centric work I have so far, one of and another of what will eventually be the the entire crew with Serenity in the center.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Micah, Nice work! I'm sure you will be hearing from someone soon.
And at least you heard about the screening - even if a day late this time!