[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - How To: Fundraise with Official Merchandise and more

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:01 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Having souvenirs and merchandise available for purchase can add to your profits and increase the appeal of your event – especially if you’re in an area where such items are hard to come by. Think about the kind of items that might appeal to local fans – this could include event souvenirs (like shirts, magnets, bags or posters) and licensed merchandise, such as DVDs etc. You could staff a sales booth yourselves or negotiate with a local vendor to sell on site and donate a portion of their sales to your event.

Each year, there are usually official merchandise including T-shirts and posters that can be ordered from the Global Team for resale. Look around the forums for information on prices and cut off dates. Many organizers will also set up orders for things like magnets, mugs, pins etc, so keep an eye out for those. You can do merchandise of your own as well. Just make sure you follow all the copyright rules

Think about doing some fundraising. CSTS is not an organization. It is run by fans. There is no central fund to help you pay for any T-shirts you might want to sell to your attendees, or to pay for a deposit for you venue, so either Organizers use their own money to fund deposits or use presales of tickets or merchandise to cover costs. BBQs, bake sales, chocolate sales, whatever is readily available in your state. Raffles are an excellent way to fundraise, if your Local/State laws allow it. Some States require a license to hold a raffle that will cost more than the raffle would bring in. Some have a limit on the amount the prizes can be worth before a license is required.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:52 pm 

Signal Origin:
Runcorn, UK

Some info I found out if you're running a UK event :

In the UK the gambling commission says you don't need a license for a raffle if the following rules are adhered to :

- tickets can only be sold on the day of the raffle
- prizes must not have a total worth of more than £500, but this doesn't include donations

Source :

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks doubleshiny, that's great information to have!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

In Toronto we advertise at several Sci-Fi related conventions before the screening. The initial goal was to spread the word about the fandom and screening.

We normally have some items for sale to help raise funds but lately we have found out that some of these events can raise quite a bit of money to not only put on the event but also add to our total.

What sells is always hit and miss and you do have to be careful that you do not buy something that does not sell. The QMX Serenity key chains sold quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 am 

G'day. I'm hosting a CSTS event this year (still in the pre-preregistration stage ATM) and being my first year, I'm starting small. I have picked a venue that seats at max 104 people, and if the response is good I might think about a larger event next years.

In light of the fact that I won't have much more than 100 people attending my event, how much merchandise would you suggest I order? I don't want to over order, or under order for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 pm 

Signal Origin:
Halifax, NS, Canada

Egore108 - we were new last year, with a total attendance of 120, so our situation might be reasonably similar to yours. We had advance sales of the official CSTS merchandise (shirts, patches) through our local event website, and then ordered an extra 5 shirts (of which 2 sold at the event) and 20 patches (managed to sell 10 total). I had maybe 7 or 8 shirts from other sites (TeeFury, Ript etc.), some Jayne hats we knitted ourselves, and a painting that a friend made and donated. Apart from that, the only merchandise-type stuff we had came in the sponsor pack. We sold or successfully auctioned most things we had, but my feeling was that the supply:demand worked out fairly close - I think if we'd had more stuff, we would have been left with more.

Smaller items, like the keychains, would probably be good. I was surprised we didn't do better on patches. We also have to watch out for shipping and Customs costs, so ordering stuff from QMx etc. is a bit of a gamble for us; I won't do it unless it's on sale or I'm pretty sure it'll sell.

Another really important thing is getting the word out that there will be merchandise for sale, so that people bring cash. (Sorry, it sounds obvious, but despite us talking it up on the website, Facebook, Twitter, posting pictures of the awesome swag etc., a few attendees still said, "Oh, I like that, but I don't have money on me." We made sure to know the locations of nearby ATMs!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:14 am 
Global Steering Committee

Signal Origin:
Toronto

One reason we've given so long to order the Tshirts is so that cities can presell them - or at least get an idea how many people might want to buy one. In Toronto one year we just had a poll up asking if people would buy this nice $20.00 shirt. That gave us an idea how many to order. Once we'd been around for awhile, we pre-sold because we were known and trusted.
And some items do well in one city and not at all in another.And you can't discover that till you try.

Global Steering Committee 2016 -2018
Global Team - 2011 to 2015
Event Organizer - Toronto 2006 - 2010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:15 am 

Thank you very much for that, it was very helpful. I holding my first official Browncoat meeting tonight to try and punch out a few ideas, hopefully pin down the venue so I can register. Once I register, then will I be able to access the organizers forum or is there some other way to gain organizer status? I received an email regarding this matter, and it said to check 'the big picture' topic page, but I'm still clueless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:15 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

Yes, once you are registered you gain access to the Organizers forums and start to receive the Organizers broadwaves as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:00 am 

Thank you all very much for your help. I am now a local event team member. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 pm 

How do I pre-order t shirts for my crew before nailing down an event date? We want to schedule CSTS again in Lincoln RI (our 3rd year), but haven't set a date yet. BUT I'd like to order t shirts for my CSTS crew only, no pre-sales or using them as a fundraiser. Any way I can order before the deadline this week of April 15th? Advise please.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 am 

Signal Origin:
Toronto

There is an initial ordering deadline for the cities who have their screenings early in the "season" but there will be a second opportunity to order after that. But you cannot order shirts without being an approved CSTS city. It's one of the perqs!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 am 

That sucks about the merchandise, I understand it though. Is there any way to estimate how long it will take the global team to get back to us with confirmation that we're a registered city? I understand that they must be terrible busy, but I posted off my registration request on the 27th of March and find there's little to do until approval have been granted.

I'm eager to get the ball rolling :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 pm 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

We'll get you registered as soon as possible. If you haven't received confirmation in the next 48 hours, please email events@cantstoptheserenity.com and we'll get right on it.