[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - 2007 Missing Funds - Response to WHEDONesque Post

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Oregon

Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:28 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:45 pm 

Signal Origin:
Chicago, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm 

Signal Origin:
Portland, OR

I am writing this post on behalf of the Portland organizers. If someone from Portland posts without making some version of this statement, they are not speaking for Portland.

Rusty, please edit your first post on this topic to make it clear that you are not speaking for Portland, but simply registering your personal feelings about what is going on.
I am also reminding you to clear any future posts on this forum with lono or Galumbits before posting. Portland is lucky to have so many involved organizers, but it can be confusing to other cities when we all start posting.
Finally, please check carefully for any comments that could be perceived as personal or sarcastic to anyone on this board. Everyone is under a lot of pressure right now and things can spin out of control easily in online debates.

Everyone else, in Portland we obviously have strong feelings about these issues. But we have been waiting until after our screening to reach consensus on the group opinion. I apologize for any hurt feelings.

Post subject: a question...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 am 
2013 Global Team

Signal Origin:
WeHo, CA, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:08 am 

Signal Origin:
Oregon

Post subject: Re: a question...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:41 am 

Signal Origin:
Washington, DC

Thanks for the explanation, Miranda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:05 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:46 pm 
2013 Global Team

Signal Origin:
WeHo, CA, USA

Thanks, indeed, for your explanation, Miranda... but it has actually raised some further questions for me - along with a few others that have occurred to me during the past few days, which I'll also post here.

I obviously can't speak to when the bulk of organizers realized that b!X was no longer organizing the Portland CSTS event - but as an outsider not at all involved in CSTS organizing, I knew it on 2/13 when lono posted here: https://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/foru ... ?p=440#440

I guess one must try and accept at face value the assertion that it would have taken b!X himself posting at the forum that he was no longer heading the Portland event for you and others to be aware of it - but if, as you say, you wouldn't in retrospect have changed his organizer's access at that point, even if you had known it, I guess it isn't really that relevant when you or the other organizers did realize it.

Your implication seems to be that when the other organizers did realize it - which I gather was after b!X's 6/19/08 blog-post, when they either intuitively grasped it from his sentence:

"While I no longer have any authority to speak on behalf of the worldwide Can’t Stop the Serenity effort, and can comment only from the combined perspectives of being the event’s founder, part of this fandom, and an observer..."

or were told outright by some other means by someone in the CSTS organization that did know it it, they then asked en masse for his removal from the organizers' section, believing that information from that section had enabled him to - I guess - write his blog-posts and that their trust in the security of that area had been somehow violated.

(You also seem to imply that since b!X didn't formally announce that he wasn't heading up Portland's event on the CSTS board, and that he continued to post organizing advice and responses to other organizing posts, that the assumption you and others made about his organizer status was somehow his responsibility - which doesn't seem to me to be the case at all. Another implication appears to be that b!X was left in the organizers' section as a favor to him - the "courtesy" you refer to - but I think a good organizer would have recognized that the event's founder - an experienced CSTS fundraiser - was a valuable asset who needed to be retained as much as possible for the good of the events. If so, then his retention was not a courtesy, but was rather a result of prudent leadership.)

I have read b!X's various CSTS-related posts at furiousnads a number of times, and I can't imagine what he wrote that "used info against people" - if there were statements he made that you believe to be untrue, than I'm sure I and many others would like to hear them countered with specifics. If what he said in his blog was factual, but the objection is that he was able to write his posts as a result of hearing "privileged" information from the forum organizers' section, then I must reiterate that b!X has made it clear that he would have strongly preferred Global-CSTS to make this information public in a timely manner... and that one of the issues he had about this information was that it was being withheld as privileged.

In any event, I'm sure you can appreciate that locking him out of that section immediately after his 6/19 post has the very strong appearance of being punitive, and possibly should have been avoided for that very reason alone, at a delicate time and when CSTS especially needed to retain its credibility with Equality Now, Browncoats and other potential and past donors.

And I must ask - has b!X's access to the public section of this CSTS forum - removed since 6/19 - been reinstated?

Other questions that seem important to me:

1) Was there a formal decision made by Equality Now, in tandem with CSTS Global and all of the Global donors to delay the announcement of these financial derelictions until an investigation was completed? If not, were any formal decisions made by some of these parties, and if so, which ones, and when and how were those agreement(s) made?

2) What do the "investigations" consist of? Are the authorities involved, or was this kept within the organizations and other individuals? If the police are involved, have they specifically asked you not to speak of the situation in any fashion, and if so, have they said when this caveat would be lifted? Are there end-points established as to what constitutes a completed investigation?

3) Has Equality Now pushed for greater speed and transparency at any point while this issue is/was being resolved? If so, what was CSTS's response to them, and why? Has EN stated that they have delegated CSTS-Global to speak for them in this matter at this time?

4) Were there CSTS organizers that disagreed with the policy of delaying public announcement? If so, how were their concerns addressed or responded to? Was there an attempt on the part of CSTS-Global's governing body to make sure a majority of or all CSTS organizers were informed of the issue, and weighed in about it?

5) Was a discussion thread about this issue on the CSTS forum either closed down, locked or deleted at any point during the organizers' discussion of this issue? If so, why?

6) Is there a specific reason that CSTS-Global didn't simply announce prior to the screenings, as b!X has suggested, "“Monies are missing from the Denver and Dallas events. An investigation is underway."

7) Finally, when can we expect greater or full public disclosure of this situation, and who can we expect to make this? How/where will it be announced?

I hope this sufficiently expresses the concerns that I have been hearing from those that care about: this situation, Equality Now, the future of the CSTS screenings, and the Browncoat fandom. I'm sure not all of these questions will have answers yet, but these do seem to represent the majority of the questions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next