CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:23 pm 

Rusty wrote:
Cloudya wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Well, I'm just not sure what the point of the banning is other than revenge.

I think it was explained in the previous posts that he wasn't banned, etc. Maybe you missed it. It happens to me too, don't worry. :)

He HAS been banned from the organizers' forum. Apparently the banning from the open forum was accidental.

Hmm...well in that case maybe you missed all the explanations as to why he's been removed from the organizer's boards? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 pm 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Oregon

deleted

Last edited by Rusty on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:31 pm 

Rusty wrote:
No, haven't missed anything.

Are you sure? Because it's been explained, but you're saying you still don't understand. So it sounds like you missed something along the way. Not trying to be facetious, but...oh hell, yes I am. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

Rusty, he is not a local or global Organizer. Those are the individuals that are included in the "Organizer" Group on this forum (that have access to Organizer Only threads).

He is not banned, just not included because he isn't an Organizer. Much like a "Moderator" section of a forum. If you aren't a moderator, you wouldn't be part of the "Moderator" section of the forum.

Hope that clears things up. Sorry for the confusion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:19 pm 
Local Event Organizer/Crew

Sea wrote:

Please, look at the bigger picture and not just b!x's feelings. Investigations should not be muddied in this way, and now individuals and cities have been implicated on hearsay alone. B!x was way out of line with the personal and professional threats. Now it's the rumor mill in full force, and the chances of taking care of this (getting the money back, repairing trust) in a lawful, professional, and tactful manner are lost. Now the whole concept of CSTS is at risk.

And I don't believe people who make threats like these should have full privileges, no matter how famous they are.

Not to add fuel to the fire here, but isn't saying those above things just adding to the rumor mill on what's going on or what can't happen anymore due to the disclosure? Do we know that the lawful way to regain the monies misplaced are gone? CSTS as a whole is at risk? (which, even if the global effort somehow goes kaputz, which it won't, I think that in my little corner of the country, we'll still have our own CSTS) No, we don't and if you actually happen to actually know, I believe Beth said there would be no more statements made and those thoughts will just erode donor confidence some more won't it?.

Why did it have to take someone to 'step out of line' in order for us to find out anything and get as much information we have now? I think the whole point of B!x's post (or at least part of the point of his post) is that we should have known this earlier.

You see, we didn't need all this info we have now from B!x post and Beth's counter-post. What we could have used is some very basic and simple facts, and maybe some more details on what is being done to prevent anything like this in this years CSTS and in the future, as a preventative measure, not as a defensive measure. But, what is done now can't be undone. We'll just have to take it as it is, learn from it and move on.

If we could though, can we get more info on preventative measures? Right now we have more information on the bad stuff and hardly any information on what is being done to prevent it from happenening except for "measures have been put in place". I rather know much more about what's been put in place, maybe someone in the know can shed light on that to the general public so that those knowing all the bad can have it balaneced out by the preventative measures and good that is going on this year.

Despite all of this, I know that we will have a great CSTS turn out this year. Cities effected by last years 'event' will do great and everyone will shine and come thru and things will become right in the end. I'm going to be attending 3 events this year and have already started thinking about next year.

We're all Browncoats here, we're family. We might not always get along, or agree on everything, but lets face it, we're awesome. We're going to continue to be awesome, we're going to kick some ass and take names and raise more money for charity then we ever thought possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:28 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Austin,TX

This was my second "comment" on the WHEDONesque Board:

"We are all upset about this. Everyone is going to have an opinion as to the best way a situation should be handled. We are doing what Equality Now has requested, and what has been suggested by the lawyer we contacted about this issue. I'm sorry I can't post more facts now, but I will as soon as I am able. Until then, I hope people will be civil. (We all want the same end result - we just have different ways of getting there.)

I also want to clear up that we never accused Christopher/b!X of libel.

"The CSTS 2008 team will make a public statement, and we feel that transparency is the best policy. But we will not do that without all of the facts. To make posts that include conjecture and speculation can only hinder the investigation, and could be libelous."

This is our feeling about *us* prematurely discussing these issues without all of the facts. We have not named b!X in our public statement, nor are we accusing him of libel.

These are on-going investigations and I have been informed that I cannot post any information on public boards about them until they have concluded. I'm sorry if this isn't enough information for everyone. Believe me, I want this to be over with. I also wish it never happened. But it did. And we are doing what we can to make sure that money is found and returned.

I wish Roseivy in Minneapolis good luck on her first event. It begins in an hour - and I'm sure it will be a success.

I want to thank everyone for the outpour of support today. Browncoats are amazing people, and I am proud to be one."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:45 pm 

Signal Origin:
Chicago, IL

Rusty wrote:
No, haven't missed anything.

i think that you - but most especially bix - are missing the basic issue:

no one is disputing that this should be made public. it absolutely was going to be - at the right time.

bix was absolutely aware that things were being taken care of, agreements were being made to reimburse the funds and in a delicate situation, where money is owed, you don't want to scare the persons in question off. (bix was even in correspondence with the equality now rep)

at no moment has anyone implied, stated or declared that this was being taken lightly or was being ignored or that it was going to simply be forgotten or that nothing was being done or that it was being swept under the rug...

i would have completely understood bix's position if that was so.

BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE (omg...i am moved to use ALLCAPS! the horror if you know that i rarely use caps in my posts)

instead trying to be a positive influence, he chose to issue ultimatums and then put the whole situation a negative light by casting aspersions by claiming "inaction" is what forced him to go public.

laura

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:26 pm 
Local Event Organizer/Crew

vampirefan wrote:
...at the right time.

Without getting back into the debate, I just want to point out that the argument on when this "right time" is, is a matter of opinion and that I don't forsee in the near future anyone, from either side of the fence, is going to agree on, so lets just drop that argument for now please :) I'm sure we can go back and forth citing examples, have a billion "what if" situations, personal experiences on similar situations, etc etc, to justify our respective sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm 

Signal Origin:
Portland, OR

I am writing this post on behalf of the Portland organizers. If someone from Portland posts without making some version of this statement, they are not speaking for Portland.

Rusty, please edit your first post on this topic to make it clear that you are not speaking for Portland, but simply registering your personal feelings about what is going on.
I am also reminding you to clear any future posts on this forum with lono or Galumbits before posting. Portland is lucky to have so many involved organizers, but it can be confusing to other cities when we all start posting.
Finally, please check carefully for any comments that could be perceived as personal or sarcastic to anyone on this board. Everyone is under a lot of pressure right now and things can spin out of control easily in online debates.

Everyone else, in Portland we obviously have strong feelings about these issues. But we have been waiting until after our screening to reach consensus on the group opinion. I apologize for any hurt feelings.

Post subject: a question...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 am 
2013 Global Team

Signal Origin:
WeHo, CA, USA

JenskiJen wrote:
He founded CSTS in 2006, and resigned from the CSTS Global Steering Committee in February 2008.

As he's not involved in organising an event this year, he shouldn't have access to the section of the forum that relates to event planning and behind the scenes stuff.

But he still has access to the rest of the forums.

Just want to understand something here - theonetruebix didn't have his access to the organizers' section here removed when he resigned from the Global Steering Committee in 2/08 - and was therefore no longer a CSTS organizer - but (per Ivalaine on whedonesque: http://whedonesque.com/comments/16648#234763) the CSTS Global Coordinator asked to have his organizer's access removed after his blog-post of 6/19/08 regarding the missing funds?

Not sure who can confirm this sequence of events, but thought I'd ask...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:08 am 

Signal Origin:
Oregon

sadimac wrote:
I am writing this post on behalf of the Portland organizers. If someone from Portland posts without making some version of this statement, they are not speaking for Portland.

Rusty, please edit your first post on this topic to make it clear that you are not speaking for Portland, but simply registering your personal feelings about what is going on.

Everyone else, in Portland we obviously have strong feelings about these issues. But we have been waiting until after our screening to reach consensus on the group opinion. I apologize for any hurt feelings.

I never intended to speak for the organizers. I deleted the post making reference to that, and I don't intend to be part of this discussion anymore. I would also request that no one quote me or repond to my previous posts, since I no longer care to engage in this thread.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: a question...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 pm 
Past Global Team

Signal Origin:
Adelaide, Australia

QuoterGal wrote:

Just want to understand something here - theonetruebix didn't have his access to the organizers' section here removed when he resigned from the Global Steering Committee in 2/08 - and was therefore no longer a CSTS organizer - but (per Ivalaine on whedonesque: http://whedonesque.com/comments/16648#234763) the CSTS Global Coordinator asked to have his organizer's access removed after his blog-post of 6/19/08 regarding the missing funds?

Not sure who can confirm this sequence of events, but thought I'd ask...

ok i'll fence this one, seeing as i'm forum admin, and the only admin who is in charge of the organiser grouping. Bix never posted on this forum to say he was NOT the portland organiser this year, and i for one, assumed that he still was because of the kinds of posts he was making about suggestions etc, like those of other organisers. So when he resigned from the global steering committee, i didn't remove him from the list. Which even now, i would not change, knowing he was not the portland organiser. He is still the founder of CSTS, and was doing no harm in that thread besides the occasional negatively vibed post, which often had points of merit.

However, when he posted about the missing funds, and it became clear to other organisers that he was not an organiser himself (they did not know also) and that he had access to their conversations which were then used against some of them in his post (even in passing), they began to ask why he still had access, and that as he went against the wishes of EN and global, and many individual organisers, using information posted in this thread, which was designed so as to not be visible to the public, and was considered to be a safe zone where organisers can post without fear of everyone else reading, the requests began to flood in to remove him, so that they could feel safe to express their feelings and discuss things in private without the fear of bix taking what was said and posting it on the internet against their wishes.

He was left on the list before the post for two main reasons. 1. Beth didn't want him removed out of courtesy as the founder, and 2. i didn't know he wasn't portland's organiser as he never said so, and left many of us assuming that he still was.

He was removed from the list after the post, not as punishment, but because we provided that forum so that organisers could have a place to discuss things, without it being made to the public, and organisers no longer felt that this was the case whilst he was still able to read it. This was not a decision made by global alone.

none of this post is meant to, in any way, attack B!x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:41 am 

Signal Origin:
Washington, DC

Thanks for the explanation, Miranda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:05 pm 

Signal Origin:
Toronto, Canada

We just had our third year for the screening.
Everyone worked hard, people had a lot of fun and hopefully we have raised more funds then last year for EN.

I know there has been stuff going on behind the scenes and mumblings about next year maybe not happening. However the chatter in our group after our event has been so positive that there is almost no doubt that we will be back next year in one for or another.

As for the missing funds this is my personal opinion

Should the problem been reported sooner? - Yes

Do I trust the organizers? - Yes
So by agreeing with the previous statement I have no problem with when they make the announcement.

Should B!x have posted when he did? - No
He has his opinion but he is not one of the organisers. Even if he was one of the orgnaizers he should respect what the majority want to do.

The fact that he didi start CSTS will lend him a bit more weight in his opinion but he also has to respect what others have to say.

Even with all this happening it looks like quite a few of the screenings went well and people were happy to be involved.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:46 pm 
2013 Global Team

Signal Origin:
WeHo, CA, USA

Thanks, indeed, for your explanation, Miranda... but it has actually raised some further questions for me - along with a few others that have occurred to me during the past few days, which I'll also post here.

I obviously can't speak to when the bulk of organizers realized that b!X was no longer organizing the Portland CSTS event - but as an outsider not at all involved in CSTS organizing, I knew it on 2/13 when lono posted here: http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/foru ... ?p=440#440

I guess one must try and accept at face value the assertion that it would have taken b!X himself posting at the forum that he was no longer heading the Portland event for you and others to be aware of it - but if, as you say, you wouldn't in retrospect have changed his organizer's access at that point, even if you had known it, I guess it isn't really that relevant when you or the other organizers did realize it.

Your implication seems to be that when the other organizers did realize it - which I gather was after b!X's 6/19/08 blog-post, when they either intuitively grasped it from his sentence:

"While I no longer have any authority to speak on behalf of the worldwide Can’t Stop the Serenity effort, and can comment only from the combined perspectives of being the event’s founder, part of this fandom, and an observer..."

or were told outright by some other means by someone in the CSTS organization that did know it it, they then asked en masse for his removal from the organizers' section, believing that information from that section had enabled him to - I guess - write his blog-posts and that their trust in the security of that area had been somehow violated.

(You also seem to imply that since b!X didn't formally announce that he wasn't heading up Portland's event on the CSTS board, and that he continued to post organizing advice and responses to other organizing posts, that the assumption you and others made about his organizer status was somehow his responsibility - which doesn't seem to me to be the case at all. Another implication appears to be that b!X was left in the organizers' section as a favor to him - the "courtesy" you refer to - but I think a good organizer would have recognized that the event's founder - an experienced CSTS fundraiser - was a valuable asset who needed to be retained as much as possible for the good of the events. If so, then his retention was not a courtesy, but was rather a result of prudent leadership.)

I have read b!X's various CSTS-related posts at furiousnads a number of times, and I can't imagine what he wrote that "used info against people" - if there were statements he made that you believe to be untrue, than I'm sure I and many others would like to hear them countered with specifics. If what he said in his blog was factual, but the objection is that he was able to write his posts as a result of hearing "privileged" information from the forum organizers' section, then I must reiterate that b!X has made it clear that he would have strongly preferred Global-CSTS to make this information public in a timely manner... and that one of the issues he had about this information was that it was being withheld as privileged.

In any event, I'm sure you can appreciate that locking him out of that section immediately after his 6/19 post has the very strong appearance of being punitive, and possibly should have been avoided for that very reason alone, at a delicate time and when CSTS especially needed to retain its credibility with Equality Now, Browncoats and other potential and past donors.

And I must ask - has b!X's access to the public section of this CSTS forum - removed since 6/19 - been reinstated?

Other questions that seem important to me:

1) Was there a formal decision made by Equality Now, in tandem with CSTS Global and all of the Global donors to delay the announcement of these financial derelictions until an investigation was completed? If not, were any formal decisions made by some of these parties, and if so, which ones, and when and how were those agreement(s) made?

2) What do the "investigations" consist of? Are the authorities involved, or was this kept within the organizations and other individuals? If the police are involved, have they specifically asked you not to speak of the situation in any fashion, and if so, have they said when this caveat would be lifted? Are there end-points established as to what constitutes a completed investigation?

3) Has Equality Now pushed for greater speed and transparency at any point while this issue is/was being resolved? If so, what was CSTS's response to them, and why? Has EN stated that they have delegated CSTS-Global to speak for them in this matter at this time?

4) Were there CSTS organizers that disagreed with the policy of delaying public announcement? If so, how were their concerns addressed or responded to? Was there an attempt on the part of CSTS-Global's governing body to make sure a majority of or all CSTS organizers were informed of the issue, and weighed in about it?

5) Was a discussion thread about this issue on the CSTS forum either closed down, locked or deleted at any point during the organizers' discussion of this issue? If so, why?

6) Is there a specific reason that CSTS-Global didn't simply announce prior to the screenings, as b!X has suggested, "“Monies are missing from the Denver and Dallas events. An investigation is underway."

7) Finally, when can we expect greater or full public disclosure of this situation, and who can we expect to make this? How/where will it be announced?

I hope this sufficiently expresses the concerns that I have been hearing from those that care about: this situation, Equality Now, the future of the CSTS screenings, and the Browncoat fandom. I'm sure not all of these questions will have answers yet, but these do seem to represent the majority of the questions.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next