[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
Can't Stop the Serenity • View topic - First time for Santa Clarita, CA

CSTS Community Forums

Worldwide Charity Screenings for Equality Now

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:58 am 
Past Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Newhall

Hello! I am very excited about organizing a screening in Santa Clarita for a varity of reasons. First and foremost, because I live here! 8) We have tons of free and easy access parking for most of the possible venues, lots of great restaurants, it's a nice city to get out and walk around in before the show, very easy to get to from the highway. There are a few possible venues I am looking at. I will have more info in the next couple of weeks.
I helped locate the theater the So Cal Browncoats used last year in Hollywood, so I have gotten my feet wet, but this year I will be taking on more responsibility and looking for advice and answers to what I am sure will be many questions. :?:
Thanks...looking forward to getting to know you all, and possibly re-aquainting myself with some of you whose names I recognize from the Browncoat cruise. :D
Therese

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 am 
Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Portland, OR

Welcome Therese and yay! for expanding the So Cal events
is Santa Clarita nice and green this spring?
Welcome!

PDXBrowncoats 2005-present
CSTS2010 GO

"clear light in the sky"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:28 pm 

Signal Origin:
Newhall

Thank you for the welcome! There are Browncoats here, and a very supportive local comic book store. I am thinking of a pre event there, something to warm up the potential audience like a Firefly marathon at the store. The owner will work with me on pretty much anything, he's very cool that way.
We are green for now, but that won't last long! We tend to dry out pretty quick here...not like Portland! (jealous)

Therese

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:03 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

Sounds great! Best of luck getting the licensing to screen Firefly! I know we've had a very difficult time trying to get the rights to screen Firefly here in Australia, and I hope that you have an easier time of it. I recommend that you complete the Pre-Registration form asap so that you get access to the Organisers forum, where information on licensing, copyright and other event related stuff is provided and discussed.

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:07 pm 

Signal Origin:
Newhall

Do I need to get licensing to show it to a group at my house? Because that is what it will be like at the comic store. They have a loft that gets used that way for an anime club. I will have to look into that, as I don't want anyone to get in trouble! I wasn't planning on charging $ to see Firefly, but was considering other ways to raise additional $ for EN that night.
I just got full access to the boards, so will be spending some time today getting informed. I tend to think big, so I 'd best slow down a bit until aI have all the info! :roll: I have pre-registered, and am now figuring out which date to lock in for the screening.
Jen, I recognize your name form the SoCal Boards! Hello!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:47 am 

Signal Origin:
Melbourne, Australia

If you're screening in a private residence to a private audience (ie. a group of friends) then you wouldn't need to obtain a license to screen Firefly.

However, a comic store is a commercial venue, not a private home. And if it's a CSTS event, then it would be open to the general public to attend (ie. you advertise it publically, and anyone can attend), so as I understand it, you would need a license to screen Firefly as part of a CSTS event, whether you charge admission or not.

If you need any other advice or ideas, the Organisers Only boards are the place to post! :)

New Melbourne Browncoats Inc - newmelbournebrowncoats.com

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 am 

Signal Origin:
Newhall

OK, after some mixed communications, I finally got access to the organizer forums and it has been very helpful to have last years guide to work from.
I have found a theater, and just submitted my registration. It is my fervent hope that I made it in time to be able to have our location on the shirts! The theater is in Newhall, also the name of one of the 'verse planets. I know, pretty cool, huh?! This is an old cowboy town, very proud of its heritage. The local newspaper is called 'The Signal'. So, I am thrilled to be bringing CSTS to a town that in it's older days, could have been used as a backdrop on a Firefly episode.

I have questions, but they are for another forum, and I am up too late now to think straight...so I'll be back tomorrow.

Therese

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:37 pm 
Local Event Organizer/Crew

Signal Origin:
Portland, OR

You're right Therese, those rolling Newhall hills would have been great settings for Firefly, I'm glad your screening is coming together. I'm sorry the shirts are already being printed but we'll get Newhall on the front page and events calendar and send you a sponsor prize box.
Have a great event.

PDXBrowncoats 2005-present
CSTS2010 GO

"clear light in the sky"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm 

Signal Origin:
Newhall

So, we have lost the theater. The director decided at the last minute that he would not sign the licensing agreement. This is a huge disappointment for me. I will be back next year, earlier and better prepared. I am determined to have a screening in Santa Clarita.
Sigh

Therese